My New Baby Chicks Have Bloody Stools - Help Please

sdeedeec

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 18, 2013
I have five baby chicks about three weeks old. I got them four days ago. I had been feeding them food I got from the farm where I purchased them and don't know whether it was medicated or not. Day before yesterday they ran out and I bought some medicated. Yesterday morning I noticed a couple of stools with blood in them. I got on the Internet to research this and came across this website and learned about cocci. Based on what I read on here, I went to the farm supply store and purchased Corid and put it in their water yesterday around noon. I didn't notice any more bloody stools and thought all was well. I changed their water last nite, using the water I had mixed up. Then I made a fresh batch this morning and gave it to them. I'm using one half teaspoon of 20 % Corid per gallon of water. A few hours ago I looked in on them again and there were more bloody stools, this time very watery and a lot more of them. They all seem to be eating and drinking but do seem a little ruffled. I have them in a box in my house and have a light on them. I am extremely worried and don't know what to do. Can't really afford a vet. Any advice?

Thank you so much.

Sherry

Cknldy

Songster
7 Years
Nov 6, 2012
Appalachian mtns
Give it time. Great decision to go for the medicated chick feed! I can't comment on the corid because I only ever use save-a-chick vitamin/electrolyte packets, acv with mothers and medicated feed for chicks. Had a few chicks given to me that had cocci and the extra vit/mins along with the medicated feed cleared them up and showed no more signs within a week or two. Meds take time to flush the system so just keep doing what you're doing. Great job.

sdeedeec

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 18, 2013
Thank you so much for your supportive response! I'm so worried and just hearing "great job" made me feel so much better
jumpy.gif
I just want to know I've done everything I possibly can I guess. I love them all but of course the one I'm most attached to is the tiniest and now the sickest. She's still eating though and active and hopefully I caught it in time and can save them. Thanks again, so much.

Top Bottom