My new chick is SO loud!

christall

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 21, 2011
Northwest Washington
We just got 2 chicks (a Turken and a Wyandotte). The Turken, Poppy, is THE LOUDEST chick I've ever had. I will freely admit that
we've only raised 6 chickens from chicks - but none of them were this loud. She isn't in any distress, is eating/drinking fine, interacting with the other chick just fine... But she is CONSTANTLY peeping - unless I pick her up, then she's quiet and curious and hopping about from my hand to my shirt...

Is this another normal thing? Is she lonely for another Turken? Is this a normal breed thing?

It is unbelievable how loud she is - and how long she's been peeping her little naked-neck heart out...

Anyone have any thoughts?

Christall

Are they possibly cold? Chicks are very noisy when they were wet/cold. Is he acting okay, sometimes sick chickens are very noisy. Or it could just be you have a noisy chicken! Good luck

~ Aspen

I made sure she was dry and the temp in their box is 95/96 in the warmest spot. Then over by their food it is a bit cooler... They seem to be hanging out in the middle of the space... I'm thinking she's just a big mouth birdy - THE cutest little chick ever, but big, BIG mouth.

Thanks for your thoughts - I'm always a nervous mama the first few days.

Christall

Even though she has a chick friend in there with her, consider taping a small mirror near the spot where she likes to sleep best. A feather duster suspended to where it almost touches the floor of the brooder may also help. A small stuffed animal sometimes does the trick too.

Back
Top Bottom