My new chick is SO loud!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by christall, Mar 16, 2012.

1. christall

christall Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2011
    Northwest Washington
    We just got 2 chicks (a Turken and a Wyandotte). The Turken, Poppy, is THE LOUDEST chick I've ever had. I will freely admit that
    we've only raised 6 chickens from chicks - but none of them were this loud. She isn't in any distress, is eating/drinking fine, interacting with the other chick just fine... But she is CONSTANTLY peeping - unless I pick her up, then she's quiet and curious and hopping about from my hand to my shirt...

Is this another normal thing? Is she lonely for another Turken? Is this a normal breed thing?

It is unbelievable how loud she is - and how long she's been peeping her little naked-neck heart out...

Anyone have any thoughts?

Christall

2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Are they possibly cold? Chicks are very noisy when they were wet/cold. Is he acting okay, sometimes sick chickens are very noisy. Or it could just be you have a noisy chicken! Good luck

~ Aspen

3. christall

Aug 21, 2011
    Northwest Washington
    I made sure she was dry and the temp in their box is 95/96 in the warmest spot. Then over by their food it is a bit cooler... They seem to be hanging out in the middle of the space... I'm thinking she's just a big mouth birdy - THE cutest little chick ever, but big, BIG mouth.

Thanks for your thoughts - I'm always a nervous mama the first few days.

Christall

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Even though she has a chick friend in there with her, consider taping a small mirror near the spot where she likes to sleep best. A feather duster suspended to where it almost touches the floor of the brooder may also help. A small stuffed animal sometimes does the trick too.

5. christall

Aug 21, 2011
    Northwest Washington
    The mirror helped a TON... She's happily sleeping now after staring at herself (and pecking a bit) for about 5 minutes...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by