My new chickens are broken!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by doubleatraining, Aug 1, 2011.

1. doubleatraining

doubleatraining Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    I am trying to get my chickens better at being handled so I've been trying to use treats to entice them.....they don't LIKE treats... I've tried sunflower seeds, bread, bananas, etc. [​IMG]

They are die hard crumbles only. [​IMG]

2. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Try mealworms. They are kinda gross to touch though.

3. geekgurl

geekgurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    How old are they?

4. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Quote:that should do the trick :p

5. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    How old are they, and how long have you had them? It also can take more than treats...like literally spending tons of time in a chair with them as they free range, or in the run with them. I have 6 month old hens who only now, after getting them a month ago, are jumping up on our laps. Our BO did so almost immediately. That being said, some will never do it. The chicken we've had the longest, a barred rock, has no interest in even being touched, LOL.

6. doubleatraining

doubleatraining Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    I'll pick up some meal worms next time I go to the feed store.

2-4 month old
    2-5 week old

The 2 younger ones are SUPER friendly....they were raised in a small family hatchery. The young BA will run up to me and jump in my hand but still won't eat the treats. Even if I leave the treats in the feed pan/floor they don't eat them.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  7. JusticeFamilyFarm

JusticeFamilyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Southern California
    Try meal worms... they usually work. How old are the chickens? For mine it took them a while to trust that things I was offering them were going to be good to eat. Mealworms were always a go, though- from the beginning. It took them a little getting used to fruits & veggies- but now when I walk in with something- they come running. Let it be on their terms for a while, too- set it down and let them check it out before you make it like they have to be in contact with you to get the treat. One thing at a time. Some favorites for mine are mealworms, of course, strawberries and tomatoes. They weren't huge fans of bananas either, but they did try them. Good luck and keep trying!
    ETA: Wow! You all are fast- all those responses while I typed mine. I must be slow. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  8. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens will run you over for grapes and pieces of meat

9. LottieDa

LottieDa Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    Boise, ID
    My girls will do anything for mealworms. They'll also come running for strawberries and watermelon. Oh! Also try plain yogurt with some raspberries in it. It's hilarious and they love it. My husband swears I feed our chickens better than him. [​IMG]

10. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Mine love chilled blueberries and watermelon.
    Scratch is still the top favorite, but I don't like giving them corn in this heat as it raises their body temps during digestion.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by