My New Coop! 3/14 Today's progress pic on post #356

Quote:
These will be stationary windows so they won't have to move. My pitch is pretty good- I'm sloping from 8 ft to 5 ft in 10 ft and the coop will be underneath 50 ft spruce trees. What do you mean by jacks?

Jacks are 2x4's that are placed directly under the header. Im sure people call them different names depending on where your from. If you look at steves pics of his walls you will see an example of headers and jacks.

caf.gif
pop.gif
caf.gif

Quote:
These will be stationary windows so they won't have to move. My pitch is pretty good- I'm sloping from 8 ft to 5 ft in 10 ft and the coop will be underneath 50 ft spruce trees. What do you mean by jacks?

Jacks are 2x4's that are placed directly under the header. Im sure people call them different names depending on where your from. If you look at steves pics of his walls you will see an example of headers and jacks.

Thanks. I'll be doing some rearranging with that today and get it built better. I got so carried away that things were going so good that I forgot to do the headers that I planned on doing in the first place.
lol.png

Quote:
Buster, here is a picture that SCF09 is trying to point out. The header, in this particular build is a horizontal member used to carry weight through that area of wall to insure there will be no sag. It sits on a 2x4 that can go all the way to the floor to carry the weight down, or the way I like to do it is a sill plate at desired height and a small jack stud under the sill plate.

Even if your wall is on the ends and the truss/rafter does not directly sit on that wall......in my opinion it should still have a header and jack studs to support any weight placed above it....and here in my neck of the woods....it is code.

Hope this pic will be clear enough to show what we are trying to explain.

010-1.jpg

Thanks Steve- It makes a lot of sense and was in my original plan- I just got carried away and forgot.
roll.png

I just found out that I need to help my BIL move one more load from his apartment to the farm house so I'm not sure how much I'm going to be able to get done today.

What's that saying again? "Yes this is my truck. No I won't help you move."

Wow! You are moving right along!
Of course, with everyone here cheering you on it makes it go better, doesn't it? A little support from your friendly chickeneering buddies.

It never ceases to amaze me that with most projects, in the planning stage you're thinking couple hundred bucks tops and I'll have a great coop. Then when you actually start building the numbers start adding up fast enough to make your head spin. I've been in construction since 1964 and have built houses for in excess of 2 million dollars. Yet, when I think about building something for myself I always start out with "that shouldn't cost me too much". Your project is looking great Jared, just continue taking your time and you will be thrilled with the result.

Back
Top Bottom