Songster
12 Years
Jan 18, 2008
Conway SC
newcoop001.jpg

newcoop002.jpg

newcoop003.jpg

newcoop004.jpg

It is 8x8 and this is the 4th one I have built but it's really easy.

Hi scgamecock,
That is a nice coop. Your chickens will surely love it.

I have one question. What kind of predators do you have in your area?

Good luck with the nice new coop,
Ed

Are the walls sturdy enough to hold nesting boxes? And a snake only needs a 1/4 inch space to crawl through to the chickens.

It's a nice coop, but how safe is it? Are you going to predator proof it?

Good idea with the lattuce work depending on where you are (and I really didn't look I guess). In my area, it would work GREAT! You actually gave me a good idea! It doesn't get very cold here in NE TX. I don't think I will do all 4 walls that way, but the lattuce is a heck of a cheap fix for something I was thinking about for my coop.

That being said, I'm a complete newbie and have only had chickens for 7 weeks. I don't have a clue as to what I say so don't listen to a bit of it. I would worry about predators being your on the ground. I have a friend that has a coop that he put a 2x4 all around the ground to keep out creepy crawly stuff and then put the coop a couple of feet off the ground to keep out other stuff. He still has trouble with foxes. Point being is that I am a welder by weekend, yet I am having the toughest time trying to come up with a chicken coup. Go figure!

It's the 4th one like it that I have built.I haven't built the run yet, that will be in a couple of weeks.I don't really have a problem with any predators,
fl.gif
so it has been working fine.The small piece on the bottom of the back will be taken off for access to the run.The 4 post are cemented in the ground so it's solid as a rock.This is not ordinary lattice, it's called privacy lattice and the holes are so small that you really can't get your finger thru it.It doesn't rain inside and since they have little shade it has a wonderful breeze blowing thru it.It doesn't get real cold here in winter and the chickens are well able to handle the very few nights we have below freezing.My neighbor down the road has really free range chickens, they roost in the tree's around his house rain or shine.I just prop my nest boxes up off the dirt and I have an automatic trash can feeder that I made also.I'll get some pictures of the others with everything done to let you see.I realize that this would not for anyone up north but here in South Carolina just 15 miles from the Ocean it works just fine.

Boy would I ever like to live in a place where that would work! Poor little buggars would freeze their bums right off up here. I just spent half the day adding insulation to our hen house.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom