My new coop!

That is a very nice coop and I would love to have one just like it.
smile.png

wow, thats a nice coop, but doesnt look like it was too cheap
tongue.png
!!! very nice sometimes this is the easiest way to get those chicks right in the coop and not spend months building one.

LOVE your coop!!

I just wanted to let you know what we are in the middle of staining/sealing our siding with. I was unsure of what to use...wanted to seal the wood, but also make it look a little weathered or something instead of the bright new wood.

My hubby mixed 50/50 mixture of the red off-road diesel fuel & used burnt motor oil (black), which he filtered.

For now, we've just got the front of the coop "painted" with it. It looked darker at first, but it lightened up a good bit. I'm really pleased with the look so far.

Here's a pic from an angle from the side to see the darker front in comparison to the side with nothing on it yet. It was very cloudy yesterday when I took this pic, but it still turned out pretty good. It just don't really show the new unfinished wood as bright/light as it really is:

IMG_2156.jpg

Last edited:
That is very interesting. I've heard of using burnt motor oil but not cut with diesel. It turned out a really nice shade. I got tired of the "new wood" look, too. I wanted mine to age naturally to get that grayed look but can't do that without the wood deteriorating over time. I wonder if yours will still gray or stay about the same color. Do you know how often you''ll have to reapply? Does it smell?

The MOST BEAUTIFUL Coop I have seen. Please do NOT paint. Seal the wood...Flood is an excellent brand of sealer. AND the wood will darken but it will be protected. We did our
Lake Cottage and it works.

The Barn we built is cedar shakes. We just let it weather. You have a choice....wood protector.

Where did you get the coop from? Several of us have asked and still there has been no answer. Why? Please let us know where you got it???????

Yes, racoons can definitely open your latches. The ones with holes in them, I'd suggest a lock with a combo or key. I have a hasp lock that has a swivel knob that locks with a key...when the knob is locked upright it cannot be opened, when horizontal it can be opened, plus it has a key for locking into the upright position. Got it at Lowes. This covers my two coop doors securing them. I also put a key lock on my nest box opening from the outside. Had problems with coons before and this time no one is getting in! Make sure you have vents at the top of the coop for moisture to escape...leave at least one of them open in the winter as moisture from the chickens breathing and from their poop creates moisture.

Beautiful coop! Congrats!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom