My new girls are sneezing...

speckledegg

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 2, 2011
W. WA
sad.png
I recently got some older pullets closer to laying. I've had them for almost 2 weeks and I'm beginning to hear sneezing. I checked their noses and they seem clear. I occasionally see some drops of water or something on their beaks but that could be from drinking or from wet grass since it's been so wet around here. They do seem to be sneezing more than the occasional 'normal' sneeze I hear from my chicks. There is nothing that could be causing dust either. They are eating and drinking and otherwise acting just fine. Do you think I should have reason to be concerned? What else should I keep an eye out for? Do I need to cull before it gets worse? I'm mostly concerned about getting my other chicks sick even though I've kept them in a separate part of the yard and they haven't had any contact.

Quote:
I'm glad you've kept your other chicks away from the older birds. However there are respiratory diseases that can be transmitted airborne. First, is there anything in the environment causing them to sneeze? Examples could be dust from their feed especially if it's crumbles, smoke, pollen, ammonia fumes from soiled bedding in the coop, pesticides sprayed on the grass etc...If it's none of these, it's safe to say it could be a respiratory issue. You could put your ear to their sides and listen for gurgling, wheezing or clicking, indicators of problems. If it is respiratory, it's your decision to to treat or cull. Here's a link to respiratory diseases in poultry, scroll down and take a look at Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG.)
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

This is always a sticky situation, but usually, with the lack of any other symptoms, it may simply be a cold. A cold that clears up on its own in 1-2 weeks, and may be aided by putting VetRx in the coop and on the birds and vitamins in the water. But if other symptomns develop, then you can worry.

Oh, and if you're using Diatomaceous Earth in your coop, make sure you're using it correctly-- under the bedding, and silica-free!

Quote:
Chickens dont get colds like humans, they get a specific disease and it doesnt go away when treated. They remain carriers for life and can spread the disease to other chickens. Antibiotics treat the symptoms, but never cure the disease. DE is silica and can definitely cause sneezing.

Thanks for the quick responses! I haven't put any new DE down for awhile. Right now they are in a very large covered dog kennel (just temporary until the quarantine period is over). I clean it out daily. It has wire on the bottom so they can get to the grass. I move it daily and clean up the poop to minimize flies (and them stepping in poop) in the yard, so no wood shavings or ammonia build up. They are in a separate fenced off part of the yard on the side of the house free ranging during the day.

Their breathing sounds just fine as far as I can tell. If they are sick, and then the symptoms go away, it sounds like they can still infect my chicks? If that is the case, do I need to get rid of these girls? If I keep them and they get my chicks sick and I treat my chicks and symptoms go away, what harm is still there?

I spent some time with them this morning and didn't hear any sneezing. Keeping a close eye on them today. I'm very paranoid about getting my 3 babies sick. I'd love to hear other opinions and experiences!
smile.png

The harm is if you ever give chickens or sell them to other people. Then they are stuck with chickens that are sick and may infect their own flocks. I bought some chicks from a lady I met here a while back. the next day they were very sick with a respiratory issue. I am 100% sure she knew she had a resp. problem in her flock but she didn't bother to tell me. I had 2 choices....euthanize the new chicks or risk all of my chickens. I euthanized. She never even offered me a refund or anything.

To those that suggested antibiotics....is duramycin a choice to start with? I was of the forum for the same reasons as this poster. I started yesterday...hesitantly. I hope I'm making the right choice.

Hey everyone. It's totally your call how you want to proceed, but dawg53 is right (as he normally is). As the saying goes, 'there is no cure for the common cold', but unlike in humans, the respiratory infection remains in the birds for life and is easily transmitted to other birds.

So, since it's just occasional sneezing, and there are no other signs, they are probably in the clear? Of course I will keep them in quarantine and keep an eye out for other signs. I will cull if they are sick. I'm watching for lethargy, runny noses, wheezing and/ or clicking when breathing, correct?

Back
Top Bottom