My New Gravity-Fed Waterer For My Chicks

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jaydweight, Mar 24, 2011.

1. jaydweight

jaydweight Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2011
    Pleasant Grove, UT
    Well I took the advice of many of you on this forum to have a gravity-fed waterer with the use of the push-in nipples. I received my nipples in the mail [​IMG] yesterday and put them to the test. I didn't have the required 11/32" drill bit but had one just slightly bigger (don't know what size, it doesn't say on the bit) and then wrapped each nipple with teflon tape and it worked! No leaks whatsoever. And it probably took less than five seconds for my chicks to be drawn to it to the point that they all began pecking at them for their wonderful, clean, water. And no messes!

You can see just one nipple (it was the test to see if it worked. Once it worked I put three nipples on that little bucket mainly so they wouldn't all fight or overcrowd the one nipple.) They love it!
    [​IMG]

2. Keene's coop

Keene's coop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    neenah, wisconsin
    nice and colorful

3. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    It is a bit low. I would raise it so they can stand upright and drink. It's fine either way but easier on them if the don't have to bend over. Congrats on making your own watering system.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  4. jaydweight

Mar 14, 2011
    Pleasant Grove, UT
    Quote:Yeah I do need to do that. Thanks for the tip.[​IMG]

5. Neil Grassbaugh

Neil Grassbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    [​IMG]

6. jaydweight

Mar 14, 2011
    Pleasant Grove, UT
    Quote:Neil, Thanks for the diagram. I'd never known this if I hadn't posted. [​IMG]

7. SED

SED Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    North West Alabama
    Neil, am I correct in assuming that you sell the nipples? If so, how would I go about ordering some? (I sent a PM but your inbox is full) Thanks, Scott

8. jaydweight

Mar 14, 2011
    Pleasant Grove, UT
    So I took Neil's advice and raised the waterer.

In this shot, you can see that it's at about eye-level.
    [​IMG]

Here's one enjoying the water.
    [​IMG]

9. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    This is exactly what I was looking for! I just ordered 3 chicken nipples from farmtek and was wondering how to build these.

10. jaydweight

Mar 14, 2011
    Pleasant Grove, UT
    Quote:It's really quite easy. The one thing you need to look for is an 11/32" drill bit. I didn't have one but found one that was almost the exact same size as the 11/32" (I don't know what size it was) so what I did was drilled the hole, inserted the grommet (it should come with grommets), inserted the nipple into the grommet, and then I removed the nipple from the hole (the grommet still attached to the nipple) and then wrapped the grommet with teflon tape (I think that's what its called, it's used in plumbing) and it worked well. It's a temporary waterer for now, I'll be using a bigger bucket for my coop and run as I will want more water capacity.

It's fun to learn about all of this.

Good luck with yours and let us know how your results go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by