My New Gravity-Fed Waterer For My Chicks

jaydweight

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 14, 2011
Pleasant Grove, UT
Well I took the advice of many of you on this forum to have a gravity-fed waterer with the use of the push-in nipples. I received my nipples in the mail
lol.png
yesterday and put them to the test. I didn't have the required 11/32" drill bit but had one just slightly bigger (don't know what size, it doesn't say on the bit) and then wrapped each nipple with teflon tape and it worked! No leaks whatsoever. And it probably took less than five seconds for my chicks to be drawn to it to the point that they all began pecking at them for their wonderful, clean, water. And no messes!

You can see just one nipple (it was the test to see if it worked. Once it worked I put three nipples on that little bucket mainly so they wouldn't all fight or overcrowd the one nipple.) They love it!
82601_2011-03-23_18-39-22_374.jpg

It is a bit low. I would raise it so they can stand upright and drink. It's fine either way but easier on them if the don't have to bend over. Congrats on making your own watering system.

Last edited:
Neil, am I correct in assuming that you sell the nipples? If so, how would I go about ordering some? (I sent a PM but your inbox is full) Thanks, Scott

Quote:
It's really quite easy. The one thing you need to look for is an 11/32" drill bit. I didn't have one but found one that was almost the exact same size as the 11/32" (I don't know what size it was) so what I did was drilled the hole, inserted the grommet (it should come with grommets), inserted the nipple into the grommet, and then I removed the nipple from the hole (the grommet still attached to the nipple) and then wrapped the grommet with teflon tape (I think that's what its called, it's used in plumbing) and it worked well. It's a temporary waterer for now, I'll be using a bigger bucket for my coop and run as I will want more water capacity.

It's fun to learn about all of this.

Good luck with yours and let us know how your results go.

Back
Top Bottom