my new hampshires.

earlyredrooster

Songster
5 Years
Apr 19, 2014
Harrisburg, Ar
Don't know much about this breed. My grandma always kept domineckers and brown leghorns.

New Hampshires are a great breed, though the hatcheries have messed with them, as they have some of the other great old breeds. They vary so much by whichever hatchery they come from. I had two from Ideal that were positively bright orange and a friend had one that was chestnut red. I now have one from Mt. Healthy, giving hatcheries one more chance to redeem themselves. Hope this one doesn't die from reproductive malfunction like most of my hatchery hens have. Some folks here have the old German line of NHs. I hatched some but they were all males so rehomed them all. Beautiful birds.

When you say "dominickers", do you mean Dominiques or Barred Plymouth Rocks? The Dominique has a rose comb and is the first American breed. Barred Rocks were developed from the Doms. I love the Barred Rocks, my absolutely favorites. I fell in love with them from my first hatchery hens and now have some of the long bred Stukel heritage line, so different from the hatchery girls, but I love them all.

Never owned a Leghorn, love the rounder breeds, personally. White eggs look strange to me now, LOL.

Oh, welcome to BYC!

Last edited:
New Hampshires are a great breed, though the hatcheries have messed with them, as they have some of the other great old breeds. They vary so much by whichever hatchery they come from. I had two from Ideal that were positively bright orange and a friend had one that was chestnut red. I now have one from Mt. Healthy, giving hatcheries one more chance to redeem themselves. Hope this one doesn't die from reproductive malfunction like most of my hatchery hens have. Some folks here have the old German line of NHs. I hatched some but they were all males so rehomed them all. Beautiful birds.

When you say "dominickers", do you mean Dominiques or Barred Plymouth Rocks? The Dominique has a rose comb and is the first American breed. Barred Rocks were developed from the Doms. I love the Barred Rocks, my absolutely favorites. I fell in love with them from my first hatchery hens and now have some of the long bred Stukel heritage line, so different from the hatchery girls, but I love them all.

Never owned a Leghorn, love the rounder breeds, personally. White eggs look strange to me now, LOL.

Oh, welcome to BYC!

They were the true dominecker. I started to order some but the roosters grandma had were always mean.

Back
Top Bottom