My New Obsession

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by QuickGirl16, Apr 21, 2018.

1. QuickGirl16

QuickGirl16 In the Brooder

Apr 21, 2018
    Hello,
    I'm about to move on to my very own farm. While thinking of all of the possibilities I began thinking of all of the different animals I had growing up and all the ones I always wanted. I knew first thing I wanted ducks! As a kid we would raise ducks and sooner or later they would love taunting our outside guard dog and playing in his water bucket. One by one they paid the price. After my mom would not let us have anymore ducks :hit. So naturally the first thing I wanted was ducks! Even though I should have waited to get ducklings before I moved out of my rental home, I couldn't :D. I did however contain myself and only purchased 2 to start.

What I did fail to do was research what breed of ducks I wanted and for what purposes. When at the local farm store to "not buy ducks" my husband spotted a mostly all black duckling with a small white bib. That was it, he wanted that duckling. This was the only one like this. It is mandatory to buy at least 2 so I picked a lively yellow duckling. I knew the yellow duckling was an Indian Runner but had no clue what the black one was.

I've had them now for almost 4 weeks. They are just starting to molt and their little peeps are starting to crack. Also, now after some looking I now know the black duckling is a Cayuga! Now I am so excited to see its beautiful feathers. I'm also very positive they are both females. I am now aiming to purchase more of each breed for bug control, eggs, entertainment, brooding, and eventually (if I can bring myself to do it) meat.

Attached Files:

rjohns39, KikisGirls, 007Sean and 5 others like this.
  2. Mylied

Mylied Crowing

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    Congrats on your new ducks! They are cuties. I bought ducks to get meat since I process chickens and we raise pigs for slaughter. But I have yet to be able to do the deed to ducks. They are just too darn cute. I ended up selling a couple drakes that were meant to be processed and giving one away. I hatched out some eggs saying I'd process them, well only one hatched and I got attached. So I started with 4 ducks to lay eggs for me to process the offspring and now I have 7 ducks and none in the freezer. Lol. Maybe some day.

rjohns39, KikisGirls, 007Sean and 5 others like this.
  3. QuickGirl16

QuickGirl16 In the Brooder

Apr 21, 2018
    Mylied - I feel like I'm going to end up doing the same thing. My thought is to let myself get attached to these ones and then ones that I hatch will be meat. I'll do it eventually...maybe...lol (maybe the Runners since they're noisier lol)

rjohns39, KikisGirls, 007Sean and 3 others like this.
  4. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, CA
    My Coop
    Blue Welcome.png

You are living the dream now!

Cute ducklings

rjohns39, KikisGirls, 007Sean and 2 others like this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens(and ducks, geese,swans,guineas, quail - you get the picture.)

rjohns39, KikisGirls, 007Sean and 2 others like this.
  6. Joeschooks

Joeschooks Just clucking around

Feb 7, 2018
    Hampshire, UK
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! There’s so many helpful, knowledgeable folks here and I’m sure you’ll find this site a very useful resource. I imagine you have found the duck forum already? :thumbsup

rjohns39, N F C, KikisGirls and 2 others like this.
  7. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hello and welcome to BYC and congrats on your new farm purchase. Good luck with your projects :thumbsup

rjohns39, N F C, KikisGirls and 2 others like this.
  8. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy :frow Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

Cute duckies! Hope you enjoy BYC as much as we do! Best wishes for you and your endeavors. :)

rjohns39, N F C and KikisGirls like this.
  9. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    :welcome
    :yesss: We are glad you joined this flock!
    Jump right in and make yourself at home.

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Coop Ideas:
    Chicken Coops

BYC has an APP!

rjohns39, N F C and 007Sean like this.
  10. N F C

N F C is it nap time yet?

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

Congrats on your ducks and best of luck with all your plans!

rjohns39 and 007Sean like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: