My new pigeons!

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
Actually, my son's new pigeons, but I'll be the one feeding and caring for them.

They are parlor tumblers/rollers, haven't figured out the right term yet. Anyway, they can not fly, and do all their tricks on the ground! Amazing! I didn't even know there was such a thing!

This is the female. She is pure blakc (another new one on me!) Sorry it's so washed out, my stupid flash works too well I guess!
PICT0280.jpg

PICT0282.jpg

PICT0286.jpg

This is the male. He is a rusty red color and white.
PICT0281.jpg

PICT0283.jpg

PICT0285.jpg

Shelley, nice! Parlor Tumblers are neat. They hold contests for them were they see whose bird can roll the farthest. I think the longest roll is 365' . Your red cock bird is a grizzled bird it looks like in the photos. You should get red bar, red check, black bar, black and grizzled babies from them I think. They actually were bred from Rollers and Flying Tumblers if memory serves me right. They do their rolls by flipping with their wings.

The best part about them is they were FREE!!
celebrate.gif

FrChuckW~~How big of a pen would they need? And do you know how to get them to roll? The guy had them doing it yesterday, but I'm not sure how he did it. We tried to get them to do it to show my dad, but we couldn't get them to!

A cage 2'W x 22"H x 8'L will be big enough for them, so they have room to tumble.

The longest distance recorded for a parlor tumbler is now 662' 1" and would have been further but the bird rolled into a chain link fence and got stopped.

To get them started to tumble, place them on the ground and give them a little nudge from behind with your hand.

Someone on my other thread made it sound like there are two different types: rollers and tumblers? Said the rollers do the long hauls and the tumblers just jump up and tumble once or twice and stop? I don't know, I know nothing about pigeons!!

Oh and a silly question: Do you 'nudge' them from underneath?
gig.gif

Quote:
Actually they are the same breed, however the information is correct in that tumblers only do a few flips. Rollers are the ones that keep going, and going and going. Sorta like the Energizer Bunny.
lau.gif

And yes you can give them a nudge from underneath, gently just to get them started.

I had a pair of parlor rollers they never flew they were the kind that just rolled on the ground (didnt fly at all, it was almost like they couldnt).

My male looked like your hen and my hen was grizzled "yellow" i guess though i'd call it red LOL!

I had them for a good long while and they were my favorite of all the pigeons i had
big_smile.png

I traded four parakeets to get them
big_smile.png

Edited because i had too many typos lol!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom