My new Rooster seems depressed, what should i do

After i took pics of his eyes again, i noticed that he más mucus coming out of his nose. All the feed store said was that they got their chickens from auctions
Sometimes he does this small weird sound that makes me think he is cleaning his throat
His crop feels empty, is that how it’s supposed to feel?
Thank you for the photos.
I do see what looks like thick mucous in the nostril and maybe a little evidence of crust around the eyes like they may have been watery at some point.

I think it would be a good idea to separate him out so you can monitor him more closely. Watch for bubbles in the eyes, more mucous, coughing, sneezing, etc.
Where are you located? (state/country)
The crop should be empty in the morning before he eats/drinks, but as they day goes along it should be filling as he eats/drinks.
He is not eating/drinking well like you report, try to get a good look at his poop and do what you can to get him drinking. Wet feed may also be enticing.

For me, I would worry the mucous is an indication of respiratory illness. If he has anything your existing birds have already been exposed. If you happen to lose him, it would be wise to get a testing to find out what was going on with him.
upload_2019-3-25_22-39-5.png

My concern would be Marek's Disease. I appreciate that he doesn't have any obvious neurological symptoms but his left eye looks odd to me (possible Ocular Marek's) and it can also be responsible for respiratory issues due to it's suppression of the immune system and muscle wastage and is usually triggered by stress which the move to a new home will usually cause.
His poopy butt may be due to him not roosting(are you aware if he roosts or not?) and perhaps even sitting down at night if he is feeling particularly weak. It may also be down to him not eating enough and mostly just urates being passed. Sick birds will often peck at food but not actually eat it or eat very little. If you don't watch closely, it looks like they are eating but may just be picking up and dropping the same piece of food or pecking and missing..... the latter can be quite common with Marek's because it sometimes affects focus and depth perception.... a wet mash should help him to ingest food if that is the case.

I agree that you need to separate him and monitor his food intake and poop output. I would second giving him a wet mash and make it with something like chick crumb that has a higher protein content or add some scrambled egg. If his crop is empty and he doesn't scarf down some scrambled egg when it is put under his beak, then he is likely very sick.
He will probably benefit from being brought into a warm stable environment since he is sick and losing weight, because that will mean he is also struggling to maintain his body temperature.

Sadly you have taken a huge risk introducing such a bird to your flock..... no judgement intended as that is how I brought Marek's into my flock..... but perhaps others reading this can benefit from both of our situations. Birds from auctions are probably the highest risk when it comes to Marek's (and probably most diseases in poultry) and adding to your flock without quarantine makes it doubly so, although Marek's can sometimes even slip through a 4 week quarantine. Birds can appear perfectly healthy for weeks or months until a stressful situation triggers an outbreak.

I hope I am wrong and it is something more treatable but I would also recommend getting a necropsy done if you lose him.
Good luck!

372EB94D-2E63-43B6-81B8-74F1828A13E1.jpeg

I’m sorry, I thought I mentioned that I reside in Southern Georgia and that the weather is a bit temperamental but not too cold, but I guess I never posted it .

I did take y’alls advice and quarantined him in my laundry room. I am supplementing his water with vitamins (found in in tractor supply) and I also gave him a bit of VetRx which helps with upper respiratory function and he looks a lot better today. Still not eating as much as I would like. He seems to only want scraps so I’ll be making him a special one for dinner. Thank you guys so much for all your help, I couldn’t have done it without y’all.

View attachment 1716446

I’m sorry, I thought I mentioned that I reside in Southern Georgia and that the weather is a bit temperamental but not too cold, but I guess I never posted it .

I did take y’alls advice and quarantined him in my laundry room. I am supplementing his water with vitamins (found in in tractor supply) and I also gave him a bit of VetRx which helps with upper respiratory function and he looks a lot better today. Still not eating as much as I would like. He seems to only want scraps so I’ll be making him a special one for dinner. Thank you guys so much for all your help, I couldn’t have done it without y’all.
Glad he is doing better.
What have you tried feeding him? I would try offering poultry feed made into t wet mash to see if he will eat that a little better. Some cooked egg would be good too.
He may prefer scraps, scratch and sunflower seeds, but try to get him to eat a balanced poultry feed too.
Glad you have him separated so you can keep an eye on him, he's a handsome fella.

Back
Top Bottom