My new toy...wheeee!

Quote:
I thought the same thing--I love the feel and even the smell of a book (weird, I know), and for the special ones, the ones I want to physically hold and keep, I'll still buy hardbacks. But no more paperbacks! I have to say, I have not liked other e-readers I've seen, but this one has won me over.

My mom is wonderful, and very generous. I also think that she was thinking that this would be a nice thing for my sister and I to have while we're waiting on her to come out of surgery and while we're sitting with her in the hospital next week. Count on my mom to be getting ready for major surgery and thinking of other people.
smile.png

Quote:
THANK YOU. I'm trying not to be scared, but dang. It's MY MOM. I would just die if anything happened to her. She's tough, though. I'm more worried about the chemo afterward than I am the surgery, but I know she can handle anything life throws at her.

I told her that I would even go and vote "for" her if she's not up to it on election day. She said that shows her how much I REALLY love her, because her national choices and mine are directly opposite.
smile.png

My father-in-law has one. He loves it. The only thing he doesn't do is take it to the beach. Wind and sand particles aren't necessarily good for electronic devices.

I've played with one a little; it seems like a fun toy.
smile.png
I'm always up for trying out the newest gadgets.

NP, I checked this out online today and I just have to say "I WANT ONE!!" That thing is awsome. I'm a voracious reader, too. I love that you can change the text size. I'm gonna show this to DH. Thanks for sharing.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Salt Free ice cream maker? Give me the scoop! (pardon the pun)

As for the Kindles thingy... does the screen bother your eyes after awhile? If I'm on the computer too long (like now) my eyes go buggy and I get a headache.

That is the coolest thing I have ever seen!!!! Please keep us updated on your mom!!! My MIL had Lung Cancer and 2/3 of one lung removed and went through about 6 months of chemo. The chemo was worse than the surgery. But she is cancer free now and doing great!!! Please know that I will keep you and your mom in my thoughts and prayers!!

Steff

Quote:
Salt Free ice cream maker? Give me the scoop! (pardon the pun)

As for the Kindles thingy... does the screen bother your eyes after awhile? If I'm on the computer too long (like now) my eyes go buggy and I get a headache.

No, not at ALL. It's not like a computer screen in the least. It is actually just like ink on paper. Weird, I know!

Steff, thanks for the encouragement.

ninja, being techies, my husband and I should have one of these, but we don't... yet. We have a friend who LOVES his and he is a serious gadget nerd so that means a lot; I suppose if and when I get to see it up close it may go up on my desired list. I haven't heard anything bad about it.

It's a bit different, but our library has these really neat little audio players that come with a preloaded book. You check out the whole player (and use your own headphones).
I'm listening to Thomas Paine's Common Sense on my commutes now!
smile.png
It is surprisingly relevant (except the part about cutting down the forests to make more naval ships, heh).

The big negative on it is the engineering of the hardware. The unit itself is, in my opinion, a bit clumsy. It's almost impossible at times to avoid accidentally paging forward or back, because the sides of the device are totally taken up with nav bars. It would be nice if they gave you the option of disabling the buttons you want to, so you could actually hold the sides of the thing. But, you do get used to it after a while.

OH--and the Kindle has audio capability, too, so you can purchase either regular books or audio books. Neat!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom