1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My new "TOY"

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by justusnak, Mar 14, 2007.

1. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I was at my mothers today...and she said.."Hang on, I have something for you" Off she trotted to the bedroom....Mother is 68 yrs young, so maybe she didnt "trott" Anyways.....she came back, with a great big smile, and handed this to me. She said " Thought you might like it" I was like WOW, LIKE?? I LOVE it! So kewl! Not sure how old it is, but a neat little trinket for the kitchen decor. Just wanted to share.
    [​IMG]
    All it says as far as Maker is " Jiffy-Way" made in OWATONNA,MINN. I tried it out on a few of the eggs my girls gave me today...ALL were over 2 1/2 oz....EXTRA Large![​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That is so cool!I want one of those![​IMG]

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I have NO idea where she got it.....she just said she has had it for years. [​IMG]

4. slugmar

slugmar Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2007
  5. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Hey! That's pretty sweet! It looks like it would make great "kitchen decor", too! Sorry, I'm in the decorating mood as of late. [​IMG]

6. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Hey Slugmar......thanks for the research....thats kewl to know, maybe from the 40's! Whew, at least I know its older than I am! [​IMG]

7. What a great gift! Treasure it and your Mom --- she is a jewel.

Lisa

8. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Dipsy......I agree...she is a jewel...She lives in town now, but loves coming out to our place, and messing with the chickens, ducks...and gardens. She is so full of information...I treasure any help/advice I can get.
    One thing she told me.....If your hens go into molt...you can get them out of it early, by taking a 5 gallon bucket of whole corn....fill with water just to cover the corn, and add a whole box of red pepper. Let set till the corn "pops" then feed to the hens liberally. This will "burn out" the molt, and make them lay sooner, and FAST! Doesnt hurt the chickens at all. I know as a kid we had over 200 chickens...she was the "keeper of the flock" LOL We had eggs to sell all the time. Dont know if anyone else has used this method....I think I can waite on the hens to finish naturally.[​IMG]

9. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    That is so cool, was wonderful of your mother to give it to ya. A treasure for sure.
    I've got some postal scales from my Dad from back in the 50's. Isn't it amazing how things made back then were build to last.
    Miriam

10. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Dec 26, 2006
    California - SF East Bay

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by