My new "TOY"

justusnak

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Feb 28, 2007
South Eastern Indiana
I was at my mothers today...and she said.."Hang on, I have something for you" Off she trotted to the bedroom....Mother is 68 yrs young, so maybe she didnt "trott" Anyways.....she came back, with a great big smile, and handed this to me. She said " Thought you might like it" I was like WOW, LIKE?? I LOVE it! So kewl! Not sure how old it is, but a neat little trinket for the kitchen decor. Just wanted to share.
EggScaleNOEGG.jpg

All it says as far as Maker is " Jiffy-Way" made in OWATONNA,MINN. I tried it out on a few of the eggs my girls gave me today...ALL were over 2 1/2 oz....EXTRA Large!
big_smile.png

Dipsy......I agree...she is a jewel...She lives in town now, but loves coming out to our place, and messing with the chickens, ducks...and gardens. She is so full of information...I treasure any help/advice I can get.
One thing she told me.....If your hens go into molt...you can get them out of it early, by taking a 5 gallon bucket of whole corn....fill with water just to cover the corn, and add a whole box of red pepper. Let set till the corn "pops" then feed to the hens liberally. This will "burn out" the molt, and make them lay sooner, and FAST! Doesnt hurt the chickens at all. I know as a kid we had over 200 chickens...she was the "keeper of the flock" LOL We had eggs to sell all the time. Dont know if anyone else has used this method....I think I can waite on the hens to finish naturally.
roll.png

That is so cool, was wonderful of your mother to give it to ya. A treasure for sure.
I've got some postal scales from my Dad from back in the 50's. Isn't it amazing how things made back then were build to last.
Miriam

Back
Top Bottom