My new veggie garden PIC HEAVY

Southern28Chick

Flew The Coop
12 Years
Apr 16, 2007
It's about 20'x40'

Tilling was finished today. We added to the soil mushroom compost and our chicken poo and pine shavings from last summer.

I took the pictures so you don't see that I actually did any work but I did a lot of it. We're both very sore and tired. I'm thinking about a nice hot salt bath.
big_smile.png

Photobucket won't let me resize the pictures...again so some of them are cut short.

Garden site:
DSC01242.jpg

Grass burning:
DSC01245.jpg

DH thinking "Oh Lord!!! I have a lot of work ahead of me"
DSC01248.jpg

Tilling:
DSC01267.jpg

DSC01268.jpg

DSC01272.jpg

DSC01274.jpg

4 hours later...view from kitchen window:
DSC01284.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, that looks awesome! I cant wait to see it full of plants. We started tilling ours yesterday and my parents were complaining because it was cold so I only got one row done.
roll.png

Wow, that is amazing. Mine is only gonna be 27' x 20', still pretty big. I'm hoping the cooler weather will back off so I can get to work.

You can't tell from the pictures but it's freezing and raining today! We rented the tiller (from my new job!) and I have to take it back tomorrow so we had to work soaking wet.
sad.png
Oh well, at least it's finally tilled!

Looks like nice productive soil. We used to till/hand spade our garden every year, until my wife told me to try "layering" The past 2 years we haven't used a tiller or spaded the garden. We just dump lawn clippings, leaves, fire place ashes, composed horse manure, chicken droppings and wood shavings in the garden. We plant in raised hills/rows so soil compaction isn't much of a factor with no tilling/spading. All the "stuff" we add mulches the garden so very little weeding, except in our hills and rows. Plus all that "stuff" adds alot of nutrients. We do have to plan ahead and add the right stuff to the right areas. Like we don't want too much nitrogen in our tomato area, or too acidic in our leaf lettuce area, etc.

Nice job. I wish it would quit snowing here so I could get out and work in our garden. Just seeing others with green grass makes me envious. Yesterday I woke up to a fresh 18 inches of the white stuff. I'm hoping for a warm fall to extend the season.

I am getting the chickens started this year. Next year I am doing a garden somewhere near the coop. I can't wait. I have room for one about your size.

Awesome pictures. You will have plenty of room to plant anything you want.

I don't think you could ever have too big of a garden!

Happy Planting!

Back
Top Bottom