My Ninja/Sea chickens have EYP??!!

8 year old Rhode Island Reds “nugget” was waddling.
I don’t think she is egg bound - but perhaps has egg yolk Peritonitis??
She is eating and drinking normally but has a swollen abdomen, is barely waddling anywhere. She doesn’t roost (probably due to her movement restrictions). But seems to want to be with her flock...
I don’t want her suffering a long slow painful death, but don’t want to euthanize her if she’s treatable-
Hi @Skip2mylou79 :frow Welcome To BYC!

I'm sorry to hear about your hen.
With her age and your description, I would suspect that you are correct that she is having a reproductive problem.
Does her swollen abdomen feel like it has fluid in it or is it a more solid feeling?
Sadly, reproductive disorders are common in laying hens. Internal laying, Egg Yolk Peritonitis, cancer, tumors, etc. can all have similar symptoms.

Two things you said stand out to me. She is eating/drinking normally and she seems to want to be with her flock. IF she were mine, then I would let her be with the flock, watch to see that she is eating/drinking and enjoy her for whatever remaining time she has left:)

If there is fluid in the belly, sometimes that can be drained to make them more comfortable, but I would not do that unless she was in distress - difficulty breathing, lethargy, etc.

Once she starts to decline, then you will know it's time to let her go. What I have seen in mine, is they stop eating, they isolate themselves and lose complete interest in what the flock is up to - you will know sweetie.

Hope all that helps. If you have photos of your lovely girl that you would like to share, those are always welcome:)

Last edited:
Hi @Skip2mylou79 :frow Welcome To BYC!

I'm sorry to hear about your hen.
With her age and your description, I would suspect that you are correct that she is having a reproductive problem.
Does her swollen abdomen feel like it has fluid in it or is it a more solid feeling?
Sadly, reproductive disorders are common in laying hens. Internal laying, Egg Yolk Peritonitis, cancer, tumors, etc. can all have similar symptoms.

Two things you said stand out to me. She is eating/drinking normally and she seems to want to be with her flock. IF she were mine, then I would let her be with the flock, watch to see that she is eating/drinking and enjoy her for whatever remaining time she has left:)

If there is fluid in the belly, sometimes that can be drained to make them more comfortable, but I would not do that unless she was in distress - difficulty breathing, lethargy, etc.

Once she starts to decline, then you will know it's time to let her go. What I have seen in mine, is they stop eating, they isolate themselves and lose complete interest in what the flock is up to - you will know sweetie.

Hope all that helps. If you have photos of your lovely girl that you would like to share, those are always welcome:)
Thank you!! I hope so too!
thank you

Sorry for your loss. For future reference, if you live close enough to Bellingham Wa, Northshore Veterinary Hospital does treat chickens. I highly recommend them, we have been taking or dogs there for over 20 years and recently they started treating chickens (Dr. Jenkins).
Julie

Back
Top Bottom