MY ONE YR OLD CHICKENS HAVE VERY RED BOTTOMS.

GretaGarboFirst

Songster
6 Years
Sep 29, 2013
Massachusetts
4 out of five of my healthy egg laying chickens have very red butts. They appear normal ...eat well ...poop well ...lay eggs every day.

Can anyone tell me what causes this.? 4 days ago I gave them a lot of yogurt to eat. Other than that, their diet is good. They are almost a yr. old and have never molted.

Ensure feces is removed or cleaned from feathers and fluff on their rear end. It's possible you might have a feather picker, you'll have to closely monitor them if that's the case. Purchase a tube of Nu Stock in the equine section at your feed store and apply it to the red areas. Shake it well and wear disposable gloves. Apply it until healed.

Today I noticed 2 chickens pecking at the red area of another chicken. It caused bleeding. I isolated 2 with the red bottoms and put on Neosporin. I do not think it is mites. I don't see them and I have checked carefully. I didn't know about the equine medication. I will get some for my newly forming first aid kit. THE RED Area is below the vent. DOES ANYONE suspect molting? They will be a yr. at the end of May. They have not molted yet.

Back
Top Bottom