My over sexed rooster

minkeeperochics

In the Brooder
May 5, 2016
Fruitland park fl
I have a young rooster less then a year. He and 6 other chicks were purchased as chicks all at the same time and place and age. I ended up with 5 pullet and two roosters. 1, a maran, and the other an americana. They were placed with two hens about 1 and 1/2 years old. It is the Americana that is crazy and not for the ones he was brought home with but rather the 2 older hens. One will not come down off the top shelf just bellow the perch and the other I had to separate all together because she was loosing all her feather and skin was showing on her little shoulders. I was afraid he would do real damage.

Two better words: chicken soup.

Two cockerels are going to be too much for 7 pullets and hens. Don't separate the one hen, instead boot the cockerels. Unless you want your other older hen to starve because she's too afraid to come down to eat and drink.

I'd give your "ameraucana" (Who is most likely an easter egger) and invitation to dinner and see how things go with the marans. 2 cockerels with 5 pullets and 2 hens is too much and while ideally your older hens would put them in their place, that doesn't seem to be the case with this guy. Ditch him and hopefully the marans will turn out to be a good one.

Boys start going through puberty at about 4 months old until about 1 year old. Some handle the puberty just fine and are gentleman through out. Others are bullies through out.

If your girls are too scared to come down to eat, it's time to remove the boys. Even it's to another cage/separate run/separate night time quarters. Remember, he will calm down when he's about a year old.

My two EE/Americauanas calmed down after a month or so. They haven't reached their first birthday yet, but they aren't the psycho's they once were. (They were adopted, so there was no invite to dinner.)

Back
Top Bottom