My own meat project.

That's what I see thru many threads that a lot of people want. Since DP breeds have been neglected for meat and bred for egg laying enrichment. Even most heritage breeds have still generations to get back to what they once were. I remember my grandmother's RIR roo. He was a monster, but big baby. Swear he was 1/2 ostrich and 1/2 hippo. Wish I had his blood in my birds gene pool.
lau.gif
If only. I read everyday people bemoaning the fact that their grandfolks birds ended up who knows where.

Just an update.I candled eggs and everything going good on the remaining 12/13. I tossed 1 clear other night. On a side note, I got a Godzilla egg other day I think from 1 of my CX. Its larger than my rouen eggs. But layed in a chicken nest same day rouen duck layed in a new nest area. its about 25% larger than the duck's eggs. If only the bird inside would hatch and be THAT much larger than rest of chicks. I wish.

Another update. That Godzilla egg was a massive double yolker. Bigger than my duck eggs though. Eggs still cooking and seem to be doing well. They are due around the 9th, I think will have to check date on eggs again when I turn them.

The pullets are back in breeding pen this time with an Austra-White rooster. We had freezing temps week before last and lost some CX chicks from piling. So I am back to collecting eggs and this time the rooster can't escape like he did last time. Still not sure what will come from the eggs I have set but hoping with 3/4 white I won't have much dark feathering in these birds. Also hopes that any pullets I can raise and if are acceptable birds can get them to lay well and breed. 3 of 4 CX are laying daily so not really needing improvements I guess but want to cover extra bases if I can. And Austra-Whites are known for fertility and hatchability. Here is to hoping.

Will check in again at or after hatch.

Keep fingers crossed I am in lockdown for meat project chicks now. Friday/Sat they might be popping. I normally set eggs around midnight. Best quiet time for me with 6 kids and 1 on the way. Will set another batch Friday night with WLH, RIR and BSL eggs from other breeding pens.

bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
To the hatching goddess.

Was down checking earlier and I swear I heard tap tap tap. But I have a bunch of Rouen eggs in there also. And 1 BA egg. Trying to not rush them because my "fertility test" hatch I opened 2 days early on accident and only 1 made hatch. I was off on my set date because I was just planning on checking fertility not full hatch.

Congrats on your new babies.

Looking forward to seeing your work as I have 3 Cx crosses also, via marans and BO roosters. HUGE fast growing, just not as meaty as I would have thought. But definitely 2-3 times the other same sized chickens.

Back
Top Bottom