My pea chicks are dying. Anyone with experience have advice?

It is probably about 85* on my porch, so that's good. The toltrazuril has shipped and I paid for expedited shipping. I sure hope it arrives soon enough. The brooder is a lot smaller than what they were in so I hope that doesn't stress them out. I've been supplementing their medicated chick feed with a raw egg once a day, and they seem to like that. Fingers crossed. They're so pretty--just at the age where their opalescent blue and green neck feathers are coming in. Ugh! I hate the thought of losing them.

It is probably about 85* on my porch, so that's good. The toltrazuril has shipped and I paid for expedited shipping. I sure hope it arrives soon enough. The brooder is a lot smaller than what they were in so I hope that doesn't stress them out. I've been supplementing their medicated chick feed with a raw egg once a day, and they seem to like that. Fingers crossed. They're so pretty--just at the age where their opalescent blue and green neck feathers are coming in. Ugh! I hate the thought of losing them.
You can see videos on my FB page on how we prepare hard-boiled eggs and starter for the chicks. They love raw too but I kind of worry about salmonella although I have done a lot of raw egg in the starter for hand-taming chicks. BTW, there are two kinds of fowl pox, the wet and the dry, I assume you had the dry type.

Thank you. What is your name on FB? I may try one more time to raise pea chicks, but this time do it right. These guys won’t survive. 😥 I only have 1 left, and if nothing else, the stress of being alone will do him in. I feel awful for being such a bad chick mama. I didn’t realize how susceptible they are to illnesses that my chickens bounce back from. Summer is tough on birds in south Florida—too much heat and humidity and rain. Every known parasite and virus and bacteria flourishes.
Spring Creek Peafowl on FB. There are two things you should not do, ship pea eggs or bug day old chicks. Eggs do not ship well and day old are hard to keep alive. It is always better to buy started chicks or yearlings, let someone else take the losses.

When our chicks are put on the ground they get toltrazuril once per month and Valbazen two weeks later also every month. So we do the T on the first of the month and the V in the middle of the month.

Spring Creek Peafowl on FB. There are two things you should not do, ship pea eggs or bug day old chicks. Eggs do not ship well and day old are hard to keep alive. It is always better to buy started chicks or yearlings, let someone else take the losses.

When our chicks are put on the ground they get toltrazuril once per month and Valbazen two weeks later also every month. So we do the T on the first of the month and the V in the middle of the month.
Thank you. I will check out your FB page. I've raised chickens and turkeys, so I thought I could raise pea fowl in a similar fashion. I WAY underestimated how fragile pea chicks are compared to chickens and turkeys. Maybe I'll try one more time....after reading your pages!

Back
Top Bottom