My Peachicks Of 2014 *** Will Have Lots Of Pictures ***

How old are these peafowl? Did you raise them or did you buy them? Are you willing to take the risk of them not coming back? I know someone who went to free range their peas and she had guinea hens. When she let the peas out the guineas went after them and attacked then so the peas flew away. Unfortunately they never returned. I know I gave her the pair of IB split to charcoal peas. Easy to let them out when they don't cost money but when I told her she can get another pair for $300 she no longer speaks to me LMAO! So this is something to think about.
Those guines have been housed with the peas they will be fine.

Last spring I had a 2 year old hen refuse to come in at dusk. She went into a tree so there was nothing I could do, I do not have livestock guarding dogs to patrol, and the next day, all that was left was a trail of feathers. That was 1 night loose, I assume she flew down too early and a fox or coyote got her, or a large owl may have taken her from the tree and something else carried off the leftovers, we followed the trail of feathers a long way before it petered out.
sad.png
I have a friend who used to free range all the time, flock of 30 India blues, she had an owl move in and started to loose a bird once a week, mature males taken right out of the trees they were roosting in. About all you can do is try it and see, there are no guarantees one way or the other.

I
Last spring I had a 2 year old hen refuse to come in at dusk. She went into a tree so there was nothing I could do, I do not have livestock guarding dogs to patrol, and the next day, all that was left was a trail of feathers. That was 1 night loose, I assume she flew down too early and a fox or coyote got her, or a large owl may have taken her from the tree and something else carried off the leftovers, we followed the trail of feathers a long way before it petered out.:(  I have a friend who used to free range all the time, flock of 30 India blues, she had an owl move in and started to loose a bird once a week, mature males taken right out of the trees they were roosting in. About all you can do is try it and see, there are no guarantees one way or the other.

D
I think I'll enlarge their pen!

I

D
I think I'll enlarge their pen!

I would love to be able to free range full time the way Zaz does, but we have too many neighbors and too many predators. I just try to let everybody loose as much as possible, as long as they are good little boys and girls and come back in at dusk. Otherwise it is "Go to your room" time!

Yea you pretty much have to have the outside world blocked off so they can not see or hear outside of it, otherwise they will be all over the place checking things out, my place is completely surrounded by trees and i keep their ranging woods clear so they can fly threw the woods if they have to to get away from something that may happen threw.

Last years hatch has been quite the challenge to teach them not to cross the driveway and go over to my daughters place, i been using the dog to herd them back and now if i see them and holler get.get get in a high pitched voice real fast they run back to the barn, but they still try to go there about once a week, the first ones did not take so long to teach.

Those guines have been housed with the peas they will be fine.
My guineas are 3 years old and still attack my peacocks and peahens. The only bird they do not attack is the blind peacock. So if you think they will be fine then fly up to my house and explain to my guineas what they are and are not suppose to do LMAO!

we are talking about free range birds right?

I'm talking about free ranging my peafowl but I don't know if I want to. We have large owls. Mt husband's mother lost a 20 lb goose to one here about 30 years ago and they are still here. I can count on my guineas to come back to their house when they get hungary in the evening. From what I' ve heard so far the peafowls may not, I really don't them roosting in the trees as opposed to there house. We have no dogs only cats!

I wanted to show the new banner for my website. It is finally being created and here is the new banner for the top of the main pages. The web guy is removing the white cross thing to the right of the bird if it can be removed. Please tell me what you think?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom