My Peacock Experiment

I call this "Peachicks in Repose" They are out while their box gets cleaned. They love dried mealworms and are learning to eat out of our hands. Today they tried lettuce for the first time. Can't get them to eat fruit yet, but I think it's because I can't get it looking stringy like the meal worms.

They're coming along nicely, about 3.5 weeks old. Amazing how big they've gotten. Excited to see their little crown tufts coming in...!

Attachments

• IMG_1110.JPG
    IMG_1110.JPG
    368.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1105.JPG
    IMG_1105.JPG
    397.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

I call this "Peachicks in Repose" They are out while their box gets cleaned. They love dried mealworms and are learning to eat out of our hands. Today they tried lettuce for the first time. Can't get them to eat fruit yet, but I think it's because I can't get it looking stringy like the meal worms.

They're coming along nicely, about 3.5 weeks old. Amazing how big they've gotten. Excited to see their little crown tufts coming in...!

:love

IMG_0728.JPG
My hens are laying for the first time and I have a total of three eggs now... there's nice clean shavings in the main coop (where we moved the first egg as above) and they both have chosen to lay the next two out in the dirt in the middle of the barn. We've moved and gathered the eggs to a safer corner of the barn where it looks like they had dug out an area... anything else I should be doing or looking for...? This is my first year with peafowl... thanks

View attachment 1035022 View attachment 1035021
Hello I am new to BYC and to raising peachicks... these are my first four and are supposed to be two whites and two purples. I've been told the white ones won't be able to be sexed until they're about 6 months old, but some other thread talked about bars or stripes that can help sex the other colors.

I've done some research, and I feel pretty comfortable keeping them alive for the most part. I look forward though to talking with others who obviously have much more experience with these birds than I do...

Thanks..!
I am learning right along with you I have 3. IDK what they are but they are really cute.

We'll learn together as we go along...! We are hand feeding treats to the little peeps so they will be tamer and encouraged to stay at home once they get to go outside...

If you want to train your chicks to eat from your hand make a mixture of crumbles and hard boiled eggs, they love it. Put a HB egg in a food chopper with about one cup of crumbles and chop for a few seconds. It will work best if they are a little hungry but once they get used to it they will be jumping with excitement
IMG_1181.JPG
when they see you coming.

Back
Top Bottom