My Peacock Experiment

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by AMontey, Jun 7, 2017.

1. AMontey

AMontey Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2017
    Northern California
    IMG_0720.JPG IMG_0719.JPG
    Hello I am new to BYC and to raising peachicks... these are my first four and are supposed to be two whites and two purples. I've been told the white ones won't be able to be sexed until they're about 6 months old, but some other thread talked about bars or stripes that can help sex the other colors.

I've done some research, and I feel pretty comfortable keeping them alive for the most part. I look forward though to talking with others who obviously have much more experience with these birds than I do...

Thanks..!

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC and congrats on the chicks, they're cute! :love

3. Dany12

Dany12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    Hungary
    One of the 'white ' is not a white !
    The one whith pink wings is in fact a blue black shoulder .

KsKingBee likes this.
  4. AMontey

Jun 7, 2017
    Northern California
    Hmm... I'll be talking to the breeder tomorrow... he picked out the chicks from the "white" batch... thanks, I did notice the wings seemed a different color...

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Good eye! After a second look on a bigger screen I see you are correct. One white, one black shoulder!

6. AMontey

Jun 7, 2017
    Northern California
    I called the breeder, and he said it would be a black shoulder bronze as that might have gotten mixed in with his whites... he had one onsite, beautiful bird...

7. AMontey

Jun 7, 2017
    Northern California
    https://www.facebook.com/alora.montey/posts/1460314107360778

Where's the "off" button..? of course here they're sounding the alarm and not mindlessly chirping and peeping like they've been doing all morning...

*sorry about the link, I can't seem to load the video from my iPad... still learning this website...

8. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

You hit the jackpot with the Bronze BS chick! If the sex of the White is important to you it can be dna tested for $20.

AMontey likes this.
  9. AMontey

Jun 7, 2017
    Northern California
    I really don't mind, although I'd love for it to be a boy and hope the rest are girls...

10. AMontey

Jun 7, 2017
    Northern California
    IMG_0723.JPG
    The peeps this morning... can't tell the purples apart, which made me wonder, at what age do you leg band..? Are there bands like dog tags that can let someone know where to call if found..? I've read the article on banding but didn't really go into how leg grows into band, age to band etc...

Attached Files:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by