my peacock had 41 train feathers pulled out will he still breed?

KWAK

Songster
10 Years
Feb 2, 2009
Michigan
he is new here and is my only male...

a few days a go he flew over me when i opened the door to feed him (around 9am) i followed him and attempted to catch him several times befor he flew onto a building... after 3 or 4 hours he flew off and i couldnt find him... after a few more hors i found him in a pine tree but when i went to grab him he flew!!! i jumped and tried grabbing him befor he went to high and grabbed his tail by accident
sad.png
he lost 41 eye feathers...

will the female still breed with him?

Choctaw Valley Farm

Songster
10 Years
Jan 16, 2010
Oklahoma
Quote:
The males don't have to have a tail to breed just be old enough (so, yes he will still breed the hen). A friend of mine cuts all the tails off of his White males to sell to a taxidermist and he still uses the birds for breeders.

Steve

Last edited:

KWAK

Songster
10 Years
Feb 2, 2009
Michigan
than why do they display? i thought that the female chose the males to mate with by the tail feathers?

KWAK

Songster
10 Years
Feb 2, 2009
Michigan
than why do they display? i thought that the female chose the males to mate with by the tail feathers?

deerman

Rest in Peace 1949-2012
11 Years
Aug 24, 2008
Southern Ohio
Yes he will still breed, and be fertile. Now a peacock that drops his train in the fall(molt) will not be fertile.

His feather should grow back in about 8 weeks.

Yes a peahen does chose the peacock , but if he is the only one, then she will pick him...

Top Bottom