my peacock had 41 train feathers pulled out will he still breed?

KWAK

Crowing
14 Years
Feb 2, 2009
Michigan
he is new here and is my only male...

a few days a go he flew over me when i opened the door to feed him (around 9am) i followed him and attempted to catch him several times befor he flew onto a building... after 3 or 4 hours he flew off and i couldnt find him... after a few more hors i found him in a pine tree but when i went to grab him he flew!!! i jumped and tried grabbing him befor he went to high and grabbed his tail by accident
sad.png
he lost 41 eye feathers...

will the female still breed with him?

Quote:
The males don't have to have a tail to breed just be old enough (so, yes he will still breed the hen). A friend of mine cuts all the tails off of his White males to sell to a taxidermist and he still uses the birds for breeders.

Steve

Last edited:
than why do they display? i thought that the female chose the males to mate with by the tail feathers?

than why do they display? i thought that the female chose the males to mate with by the tail feathers?

Yes he will still breed, and be fertile. Now a peacock that drops his train in the fall(molt) will not be fertile.

His feather should grow back in about 8 weeks.

Yes a peahen does chose the peacock , but if he is the only one, then she will pick him...

Back
Top Bottom