My pekin duck is tired???

Rachaels Zoo

Chirping
Jun 29, 2020
Hi!
I have four Pekin ducks, 2 males and 2 females, the females are just over 28 weeks.
my one female has started laying eggs for about a week now. Ever since then she has been acting exhausted. She will still get up when we come out with treats get in her pool and prune her feathers but compared to my other female she sleeps at least double than her. I separated the males from the females due to a little over mating, nothing serious I just wanted to give them a break. I was chalking it up to she’s tired from her first round of eggs. Is this a thing? Could they be upset I separated them from the males? There is nothing I can physically see wrong with her. She has a ton of feathers coming in so she looks a little fluffy but that’s about the only difference physically. Walking fine etc. Any suggestions or thoughts would be great! Thank you!!

Hi! My ducks have had a lot of reproductive issues and no matter what the specific problem was my duck was always tired. I've always taken my ducks to an avian veterinarian when they aren't well, so the reproductive issues were verified by diagnostic testing. When my ducks are laying normally they don't seem extra tired.

That has been my experience - but I have only had 6 laying ducks. Hopefully your duck is just adjusting to laying. I didn't experience that with mine, but maybe others have and will chime in soon. Do you have layer feed for her?

Good job separating the genders. One of my ducks was overmated before I got her and she was injured very badly.

Hi! My ducks have had a lot of reproductive issues and no matter what the specific problem was my duck was always tired. I've always taken my ducks to an avian veterinarian when they aren't well, so the reproductive issues were verified by diagnostic testing. When my ducks are laying normally they don't seem extra tired.

That has been my experience - but I have only had 6 laying ducks. Hopefully your duck is just adjusting to laying. I didn't experience that with mine, but maybe others have and will chime in soon. Do you have layer feed for her?

Good job separating the genders. One of my ducks was overmated before I got her and she was injured very badly.

thank you! It’s just tiredness not lethargic or anything like that. Right now she’s up playing the mud with everyone else it’s just she naps more frequently. I keep separating males from females but when they are put together they all seem so so happy just talking and running around playing together. I just wish she could tell me ha

thank you! It’s just tiredness not lethargic or anything like that. Right now she’s up playing the mud with everyone else it’s just she naps more frequently. I keep separating males from females but when they are put together they all seem so so happy just talking and running around playing together. I just wish she could tell me ha
I know what you mean about wanting them to tell you what's going on!

My pekin naps so frequently when she is having reproductive issues. It's actually the only way we can tell. Oh, Thimble took 40 naps today instead of 5? Time to go to the vet! It's worth pointing out that she's at least 6.5. So, not a new layer. :)

Back
Top Bottom