My Pekin duck noise! Is she MAD?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by daidyducks, Jul 1, 2011.

1. daidyducks

daidyducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Ontario,CA
    my babygirl keeps making this noise everytime someone walks to her but then backs off. or when I carry her shes calm, and as soon as I set her down she starts making this noise.
    Its sort of "fast" and looks like shes happy but my brother keeps insisting shes "mad"

Does anyone have any idea why she does this??

heres a video of me trying to get her to make the noise..

View My Video

as always, thank you all [​IMG] <3

2. daidyducks

Feb 24, 2011
    Ontario,CA
    ugh no sound.
    Ill try to redo this with a camera [​IMG]
    (iphone video)

3. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I'm not sure, I've heard wild ducks doing that, usually when they're trying to appease a drake who is harassing them. I've also heard female ducks make that noise whenever they greet others in her group that she's happy to see (especially if they're all or mostly male). It could be flirty. Maybe she's flirting with your drake.

I would like to know what others think.

I heard the sound when I played it.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

My ducks make that same noise, as if "talking" to you, or another duck, etc. [​IMG]

5. DuckyGurl

DuckyGurl Overrun With Chickens

My baby always does that. I agree with upper poster!

6. lovin my birds

lovin my birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    Awe she loves you! My females do it to me. Especially when I bring them treats. Also they do it to the males when they are flirting with them. Lol!

7. daidyducks

Feb 24, 2011
    Ontario,CA
    Oh my goodness! She's a flirt?! Haha. It's weird tho she only does it when someone puts her down after carrying her.. So why would she flirt with the drake? My boyfriend and I like to joke around about it as if saying "hey haha you saw that?! You saw that?! They carried me! lololol" maybe she's showing off??

I have heard from a couple pple she may be angry.
    It's so hard to tell their language. Although I know when she gets scared or feels lonely.. Usually every morning at 6 am -__- and at night when I go out [​IMG]

8. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    I get that greeting all the time, but let someone else come up, they go stone silent and cock their heads at them and won't move a muscle unless it's a mad dash into their house. I take talking as a good sign, they start their mouths as soon as they hear the back door of the house slam.

When I go out to let them out, I announce myself with "Duck-ducks?" and then I get a single loud QUACK followed by mumble-mumble-quack-mumble. They won't do it for anyone else.

They also start it up when I open the run door and offer them freedom, and when I put fresh water in their pool, they gather around and talk about that.

Just a chatty bunch, until a stranger comes around. One neighbor who's fence is right by their run will walk over and watch them, super nice old man, and they're more ok with him than my own husband!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by