My Pekin repeatedly goes after one of my chickens.

catlvr976

Chirping
13 Years
Mar 5, 2007
Near Meadville, Pa
Hello, hoping to find some info from those more experienced, as I've never owned ducks before and have limited experience with chickens.

I have 7 chickens and one Pekin (I actually have 8 more chicks and a baby mallard, and they're currently being introduced to the older ones). The older ones will be 15 weeks old on Wed. They have lived together since they were a day old when I got them from the hatchery.

Anyway, Lola (our duck) has within the past week or 2 decided that she wants to harrass our white rock, Elizabeth. She will also sometimes go after our Buff Orp, Mabel. Well, now Elizabeth just hides out in the coop and more often than not, when she tries to go out in the run, Lola puts her head down, quacks and runs towards her. Sometimes she will latch on to their back feathers.

She can be quite the bully. She will push past the others when they are eating, or if they happen to be in her way. Are they sorting out the pecking order? They really did get along just fine before.

Thanks!

Its interesting she has it out for just the one or two chickens. If the duck and chicken/s have been together since day one they should be well past the pecking order. Sorry I'm not sure what going on, your chicken must be rubbing the duck the wrong way.

I know a couple of my mallards will hiss and chase a couple of my roosters but thats only after the rooster was being mean to one of the other ducks.

Well, Elizabeth's always been kind of sweet, laid back chicken, like my BO. I feel so bad for her. I don't know what else to do. Don't know how I would be able to isolate her or keep her away. Maybe I should put the chicken with the babies?

I raised two Pekins and a campbell drake with my first chicks. Everyone got along great until the next spring when hormones kicked in and the Pekin drakes decided the chickens were fair game.

I've only ever kept drakes, but I think in general Pekins are just rough and nasty ducks. The one Pekin I have left is 8 years old now and still thinks spring time means it's time harass my hens to death. A few years ago he actually injured one hen enough that she had to be dispatched. Since then the ducks no longer range with the chickens.

I'd probably chalk it up to a foul attitude and a sense of territorial superiority. Dunno if I'd allow them to stay together myself....just my two cents though. I don't consider myself an expert.

I have a muscovy that likes to bully certain hens. Usually the broody ones, but she also hates our roosters (except for our rooster that is really a duck at heart).

I found she did this more and more towards her getting ready to lay. Could that be a reason?

I think maybe she just has a nasty streak.

She will do the head down, quacking thing when she sees my dog (a golden retriever), sometimes she'll do that when my kids or myself walk towards the coop area, but then she'll run away from us after we get too close.

Maybe that is all that it is. Or like you said, aoxa, it's getting close to laying time? They are getting close now, 15 weeks old. Or maybe cause it's spring.

It's just so odd because they all got along so well for so long.

I think maybe she just has a nasty streak.

She will do the head down, quacking thing when she sees my dog (a golden retriever), sometimes she'll do that when my kids or myself walk towards the coop area, but then she'll run away from us after we get too close.

Maybe that is all that it is.  Or like you said, aoxa, it's getting close to laying time?  They are getting close now, 15 weeks old. Or maybe cause it's spring. 

It's just so odd because they all got along so well for so long.
Are you sure it's a she? My drake I had to rehome because he repeatedly went after my hens. A drake can really injure a chicken.

My muscovy hen will charge and hiss and bite them. She does not like the hormones the broodies give off. And the roosters.. I really don't know.. She doesn't like them at all!

Maybe she isn't a she. I ordered a girl, but maybe it's not? Would a male have curly tail feathers by now? Do male Pekins get the curly feather?

I've read that female ducks quack pretty loud. She doesn't quack loud, makes kind of like a quieter quacki-ish sound. I can't even begin to explain it. But I keep on waiting for her to let out a loud quack.

Back
Top Bottom