My penny is dead and the chicks are missing!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by babyrnlc, Mar 14, 2011.

1. FeatheredFeline

FeatheredFeline Chirping

Mar 2, 2011
    Northwest Washington
    That's just horrid. I'm so sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

2. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Songster

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    Tomorrow we are replacing the pvc with 2x4's.

We got 2 barred rocks at the point of laying and one amaraucana/buff orpington cross also about to lay. So we should get eggs sooner than we thought.

I am feeling better. Maybe this was to teach me not to get so attached. I was very attached to Penny, maybe too attached. She would run to me when someone came in the yard, I was like her momma. I kept thinking she must have been wondering where I was to protect her when it was happening. Ugggg.

3. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Songster

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    How sad for you. I know it would tear me up. I may be speaking out of turn and I am sorry if I am, but I think the lesson is to make sure the coop is secure myself and not rely on someone else. That way I am responsible. And, I don't think it's wrong to love or get attached unless you mean to eat your chickens. Animals need love too.
    Sorry to hear this.

4. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Songster

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    Quote:I will from now on. My mom and I were doing this together. We built the coop together, we feed them together. I was getting home late and it was going to be raining so she closed it up for me. We live together on the same property (different houses). She feels horrible. She has not read as much as me, she thought they would be fine in the run. I knew better, it is my fault.

We are going to fix it, nothing is going to get into the new run! Course it is gonna be much harder to move. AND we are going to never not close the coop.

I hate that we had to learn on my baby. And the 3 chicks I raised from 1 day old and never lost one to anything and they were 6 weeks old! I am thankful that we gave my friend two of them last week (the roos), so at least some are safe, course she free ranges, so there is that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: