My Pet Chicken Need Help!

You should never just get one chicken. You need to get AT LEAST 2 chickens. Chickens get VERY stressed when they are alone and should NOT be kept alone unless the chicken is sick or new to the flock. In this case it would be called being in "Quarentine". It would be better for you to get at least 3 chickens though. That way, if one dies there is still another one to keep it company.

MyPetChicken isn't a hatchery by itself. In other words, they get their chicks from another hatchery (not sure the particular hatchery. My memory fails me...)
The minimuim order will depend on your location, I believe. It also depends on what type of chicken you are getting. If you are getting bantam then the minimuim order will be larger then if you were to get a larger breed. There is a place on their website where you can enter your zip code and they will calculate how much it will cost for shipping as well as what the minimuim order will be. Occording to their website, the "Americana's" are "limited availability". Unfortunatley, these 'Americanas' are not in fact americanas. They are what is called "Easter Eggers". Easter Eggers can lay Blue, Green, Brown or Pink tinted egg. It all depends on the individual bird. If you want a true americana (one that lays blue/green eggs) I would reccomend going to a breeder. There are many chicken breeders on BYC. You may want to check out the Chicken For Sale section of BYC.
I have heard that MyPetChicken is a little on the expensive side when compared to the other hatcheries. I have not ordered from them myself, however. And I have also heard that they have great customer service.
Chicks are usually for sale in Spring-Summer time. Which is why they have limited availability. It seems to me that not as many chicks are sold around this time of year. Most likely due to the fact that it is colder.

Good Luck!
wink.png

Mypetchicken bases their shipping on your zip code...it all depends on how far you are from a major airport. I am exactly one mile off the city limits of Philadelphia, and my minimum order was 4 chicks. Otherwise, dealing with MPC was a very pleasant experience.

mm

Quote:
Your welcome
smile.png
Are you wanting to get bantams or large fowl?

Well, I wanted a EE until I found out they were sold out.
sad.png
Will they be available any time soon?

They only show the next 4 weeks availability, so I would suggest checking back every week, or maybe try contacting them by phone or email and asking them. Good luck!

Quote:
Well, I wanted a EE until I found out they were sold out.
sad.png
Will they be available any time soon?

They only show the next 4 weeks availability, so I would suggest checking back every week, or maybe try contacting them by phone or email and asking them. Good luck!

Thank you! I will!
smile.png

why not post on the state thread you are at and see if there is someone local you can get them from, better on the chicks - less stressful and you would save on shipping

I hate to disappoint, but you may want to check with them if they are still shipping. I think this is the last week they are shipping small orders because of temperatures being too low for so few chicks to keep themselves warm. Small orders are also pretty expensive to ship because they express them. I'd try to find someone local if you can. Good luck, though!

Back
Top Bottom