my pet chicken reviews

I got some years ago and all have passed since. They were regular hatchery quality, all could see clearly and a few had muffs. Hopefully someone more recent will post some photos.

VioletFeathers,
I had ordered a silkie pullet last April from MPC and she turned out great (and a she). She is a little smaller than the ones I have gotten from McMurrey years ago, but she is healthy and actually lays quite well and has 5 nicely formed toes on each foot.

This pic is when she was between 6-8 months old I think

VioletFeathers, I had ordered a silkie pullet last April from MPC and she turned out great (and a she). She is a little smaller than the ones I have gotten from McMurrey years ago, but she is healthy and actually lays quite well and has 5 nicely formed toes on each foot. This pic is when she was between 6-8 months old I think
Thanks! She is pretty, I like the ones with beards/muffs best

Just sharing our My Pet Chicken experience here, seemed like the right place. Our original flock was from one of our local feed stores that gets them from a bunch of nationwide hatcheries. When it came time to expand, we decided on MPC after looking around, due to the availability and diversity of breeds and ease of browsing and "shopping" their website. We ordered 20 chicks (splitting the order with another family) to be hatched and shipped at the end of January on a Monday, Everyone hatched on time, and I received notification when they shipped, obsessively followed tracking info for a day and a half as the babies made their way all the way across the country to us out here in CA. They shipped on a Monday, arrived in my town Tuesday night, I would have picked them up then if they'd let me but I picked them up first thing Wednesday morning,

PROS:
-ease of use on the website (I like how you can check availability of different breeds for different dates)
-shipping was very quick considering where we live. Unfortunately our town has a "main" sorting P.O. so even though we checked that one in person before they closed, the chicks came in after hours (apparently we can't pick up packages there anyway so it was moot) and sat overnight there (5 min from my house!!!) and had to be sent the next morning to our small local neighborhood P.O. Luckily the neighborhood P.O. called me first thing in the morning to come to their "package pickup" window, which is even before their main section of the branch was open. But, this was not MPC's fault, the fact that they arrived in my town the night after they shipped from across the country was impressive to me.
-All our chicks arrived healthy, with a heat pack, and transitioned nicely into the brooder. So far, so good, they are 8 1/2 weeks old now and have shown no signs of health issues.
-Customer service on this particular issue was thorough: since we split the order with another family I was concerned about being able to tell some of the chicks apart. I did my best guess and actually got most to all of them right in the end (after a minor switcharoo), but when I was e-mailing them they were good about responding with suggestions and viewing the pictures I sent. But pictures being pictures, their guesses were not even as accurate as mine! :)
-No substitutions were to be found, we received everything we wanted, and the sex on the ordered birds was correct
-Received an extra chick, 21 in all, which we let our family friends have along with their ordered chicks
-Their website appears decently comprehensive in their chicken care advice, helpful to those brand new to chickens I would think!

CONS:
-Customer service on changing the order was impossible. I did read their "suggestions/rules" page regarding order changes, which they STRONGLY discourage, but what it came down to was that an additional friend wanted to add some chicks for her family to our order. As directed, I called WELL in advance of the order being shipped - twice - with the same thing happening each time, holding for 12 minutes, then the call was dropped on their end. I have 3 children under 6, so no way I could make another attempt during customer service hours. I ended up telling my other friend it was a no-go, and she picked up a few at a local feed store later. It seems like they should accept e-mails or online chat feature on their site to at least get the inquiry started, and also not have a system that drops me unwillingly off a call I have been holding on for many minutes with kids and babies pulling at my skirts! Cancellation of another order was easy, however, see below*
-The extra chick was not documented anywhere in the paperwork or in their system, so when we called to try to determine what had been sent (to better ease the divvying up of chicks) they had no record of it and could not tell us. We guessed correctly that it was an Easter Egger, but it turned out to be a cockerel with a "nasty" personality, and our friends cannot have roosters where they live, sooo...... :-(

*Note: a few days after ordering these chicks we went ahead and ordered a set of 6 Silkies and Polish females to arrive many months later. Well, in the interim we ended up getting some Silkies, Sizzles, Frizzle Sizzle, and Cochin bantams from a breeder local to us, so had to cancel the MPC Silkie/Polish order. This was very easy, I was able to e-mail them, they quickly cancelled it and refunded my money. And after talking to some bantam breeders (including one local to me who breeds award-winning Silkies) about how harmful vent sexing can be to such tiny creatures, I can only imagine that for MPC to be the only one that can offer sexed bantams, they are either hurting them or have a REALLY specialized expert on staff handling this.

Would I order from MPC again? Maybe, maybe not...
Overall, in the future I would like to move away from hatchery (or hatchery-esque companies) for chicks, because I hate the thought of what they go through being shipped, and I don't eat factory farmed meat so why would I buy factory hatched chicks? Plus I would like to focus on some "true" pure bloodline heritage birds available at places like Greenfire Farms and specialty breeders (and not diluted versions of the same breeds available at most places, including MPC) and start self-sustaining and hatching our own so we don't have to keep ordering eggs/chicks. I have read some bad reviews on here of the hatcheries that MPC gets their fertile hatching eggs from, though, so I would have to read further before deciding to use them for eggs. If I need to update health or other status on here as our MPC chickens get older I will.
BUUUTTTTT....the desire to have more lawn candy runs strong, and with an overall positive MPC experience under our belts, I can't deny that I am still enticed by their pages and pages of beautiful chicken pictures and descriptions. And it's just TOO easy to browse and click "Add to cart" with both chicks and hatching eggs, making dreams a reality....so who knows? I have taken the time to read others' reviews since we ordered, and have found them informative. Hopefully this will help someone else.

Can anyone who got silkies from my pet chickens post pics of them please? I'm trying to decide if I should get silkies from them

I have two, a black and a blue. Both ended up being girls. The blue, Tetley, had curled feet when I got her. We received a refund and had to put boots on her for a week or so, but all is well now.

Them as chicks:

I recommend mypetchicken.com 10/10 so far! I recently purchased three hens as pets (one buff orpington, one australorp, one light brahma) and they came in alive and healthy! A little bit of pasty butt but that is expected for many chicks. They are now two and a half weeks old, and so far none of them are showing signs of being a rooster (I know it is early on, but none of them act or look anything like a rooster.) The chicks warmed up to me immediately and now will hop up onto my hand willingly. There were some complications during shipping, but that is the post office's fault. My pet chicken has sent very healthy chicks, and I am very thankful for that!

Last edited:
I ordered some last year. The lavender Wyandotte were a bust none hatched, and most were scrambled on arrival, the other 6 were olive egger and cuckoo bluebar, 4 of 6 hatched. I have 9 various Orpington eggs coming this week so we shall see how they go. I hatch with broody hens.

Back
Top Bottom