my pet chicken reviews

I bought my very first hatching eggs from MPC in march,three LF salmon faverolle eggs.They came very much within the time frame given,they were individually bubble wrapped and cushioned in a North Carolina newspaper "only one state away" so lucky me! Upon unwrapping I was giddy to find out I was sent four eggs instead of three,after reading the horror stories of mail order eggs I was beyond happy to get an extra chance.The eggs themselves were very lovely no cracks I had two darker eggs and one very light egg I also got one of those really oblong eggs "had to candle to put it in the bator right end up it was just that oblong."Eggs were clean,smaller than I thought they would be but I've never seen a fav egg in my life so what do I know? 21 days later the oblong egg hatches then one of the darker eggs.The next day the pale egg hatched.The last dark egg was left in the bator a few more days then checked it had stopped developing quite early on.So three out of four eggs were winners and I ended up with two hens and a roo, BTW old wives tale about oblong eggs being roos is busted,oblong egg was a hen. So far the chicks are gorgeous not funky colored,good toes,good minds! Only thing the oblong egg hen has no beard or cheeks guess that skinny egg streamlined her,doesn't matter to me she is perfect and aerodynamic.

Sorry should have added these in case anyone is interested but the faverolles hatching eggs being offered.These are the end result at almost two months. Oblong egg hen, cheeky beardy hen, and little roo. Excuse the paper plate she wouldn't get off it.

Attachments

• 20170523_193146.jpg
    20170523_193146.jpg
    484.6 KB · Views: 67
  • 20170523_193142.jpg
    20170523_193142.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 20170523_193136.jpg
    20170523_193136.jpg
    433.7 KB · Views: 63
I bought 14 from my pet chicken in August. They arrived the next day and within 4 days they all died!
I quarantine all my new chickens in new troughs with all new items away from flock.
My pet chicken would not refund or replace any of my chickens. They stated that since the chicks did not pass within 48 hours they would do nothing.
I am being furious at the company.

Love MPC. I’ve ordered day old chicks from them twice, 12/18/17 & 02/05/18. Both shipments arrived promptly within 24hrs of shipping (I live in the north western tip of Oregon, over two hours from any big city). All chicks arrived healthy and happy even after shipping during a cold snap. One of the chicks in the second batch developed a cross beak after 24hrs and I was refunded for it immediately. Their customer service is wonderful and happy to answer any questions I threw their way. I was able to purchase rare breeds that had already been sexed (otherwise impossible in my area), & I absolutely would buy from them again.

I'm happy that I didn't experience a box of dead chicks or similar, however, I have had a very time-wasting frustrating time dealing with this company. I thought I was ahead of the curve this season ordering 15 chicks in early December while not needing them until late February, as well as their Bungalow coop with an extra nesting box. I had a little difficulty due to the fact that their website wasn't user friendly and there was a page of their inventory I missed, but when I called they changed my order free of charge because of the understandable error and I thought I was doing great!
My coop arrived when expected and I promptly stained and weatherproofed the wood. I heard back from the company saying that, while they were currently out of extra nesting boxes, there'd be more in March. This was no problem since my birds wouldn't need the coop until after then.
Next I get a call two days before my supposed ship date of late February and am told that I won't be able to get my requested order for chicks until May and ADDITIONALLY I have to make compromises with the breeds at that time. I wouldn't be compensated for this delay or the breed change.
This, even after making sure that my order was in an entire season in advance! This was bad news and ultimately unacceptable. I talked to another hatchery and had to order a straight-run, but I got my desired breeds promised to me as good as shipped by the very next week. I canceled my chick order with MPC.
Now its early April and I've checked in several times to get the extra nesting box I need for my flock and have been turned away each time. I will have to buy an entirely new coop. I found a very similar coop with the two nesting boxes at for an even cheaper then the one-nest-box coop I purchased with My Pet Chicken, and it will arrive soon. I will have to sell the old one for a reduced price and re-stain and weatherproof the new one, but there are no other options for me based on the size of my flock and the space I have for my coop.
For the folks that are having a good experience with this company, I'm glad for you. At best they were a waste of money and time for me.

I've ordered from MPC a few times. The first time was way back in 2010: ordered 8 pullets, one (SF) died within 24 hours, one (blue andalusian) turned out to be a roo. Of that order, I still have one - a healthy and super friendly EE named Hester. She loves to be held and is just the best.

The second time was last year when I ordered a dozen chicks for my aunt. All were supposed to be pullets, but both her delawares ended up being roosters. One of those roosters had only one usable leg, which I'm not sure was a genetic defect or if something happened when he was young.

I just recently placed another order through MPC for four pullets: a sumatra, swedish flower hen, snowy ee, and partridge oe. Given past track records w/roos, I'm a little worried about a sexing mixup, as well as the possibility of getting low-quality birds that won't lay very long. But it was the Marek's vacc option that sold us on MPC this time around. I've gotten admittedly much better quality chickens from breeders, but they ended up infecting my flock with Marek's, which was just heartbreaking. Even though I haven't seen any symptoms my flock for a few years, I worry that my three remaining hens are carriers, so decided to prioritize disease resistance over bird quality. I was also excited to see that MPC's really expanded their breed/hybrid selection over the past 8 years! Lots of cool-looking birds on there.

Bump... Has anyone ordered from MyPetChicken recently? How did it go? I don't know what other option we have, those of us who want a small flock of several different interesting breeds? Craigslist sounds way too iffy, major hatcheries want you to order 5-10 of each breed, often straight-run, and I don't think there's a hatchery within several hundred miles of here. Anyone come up with the solution? Maybe I'll ask in the New England forum too... Thanks!

Bump... Has anyone ordered from MyPetChicken recently? How did it go? I don't know what other option we have, those of us who want a small flock of several different interesting breeds? Craigslist sounds way too iffy, major hatcheries want you to order 5-10 of each breed, often straight-run, and I don't think there's a hatchery within several hundred miles of here. Anyone come up with the solution? Maybe I'll ask in the New England forum too... Thanks!
I got my order 2 weeks ago. They are the only place I order from. They have great customer service.

I ordered 6 birds from My Pet Chicken. 2 SLWs, 2 Buckeyes, a BL Polish and a WCB Polish. They had to be shipped from Kirtland Ohio to Utah so it took two days of shipping, and all 6 of them arrived happy and healthy. I wanted all sexed pullets and only have one suspected roo (which I think is fair), and the only genetic defect I've seen is my BF Polish has a slightly crooked toe, had it since he was a day old. But it's never bothered him.

These are definitely not show quality chickens but I would order from then again.

Back
Top Bottom