My pigs

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chicks for better health, Apr 21, 2009.

1. chicks for better health

chicks for better health Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    West Glenville, NY
    Here are some pictures of our pigs

We just bought the piglet my wife named him Spartan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the piglets father and will be the father of many of our up coming piglets He is a pure bred red wattle, I hope I can find a pure sow. I'd love to start a pure bred heritage herd. They are on the critical list.

[​IMG]

2. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    I had no idea you could put such little ones with the big ones. Of course, I really don't know that much about it. I just think the boar would be mean to the baby.
    They are a very nice color, I just love red pigs.

3. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    pigs are pretty

4. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    That little baby laying with the boar is sooo cute! I too love the red coloring! We had a red pig once named garth. He had a white band around his belly. We rescued him off the streets of a city as a piglet and he was a wonderful pet!

What are your plans for these piggies? (Other than breeding)

5. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Nice pigs!
    How much should a piglet run?
    What about an adult?

6. chicks for better health

May 4, 2008
    West Glenville, NY
    Quote:I have seen adult pig have 8 x 8 pens and be pretty content. Piglets need significantly less space.

I have 1 sow, 3 gilts, a boar and a piglet in a pen that is approximately 35' x 50' they are moving into a 50' x 75' pen in a few weeks, and a month later will have an even larger pen.

7. chicks for better health

May 4, 2008
    West Glenville, NY
    Quote:I am not sure exactly what my plan is. I do know that I will have 4 litters in the next 4 months or so. I will try to sell most of the piglets.

I will probably raise 3-6 for pork. I plan to keep my sow, I am not sure what I will do with the 3 gilts, the large boar is leased, and the small boar will be kept to breed my sow(s) and I will probably also lease him out.

8. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    yummm... bacon... delicious.....

9. chicks for better health

May 4, 2008
    West Glenville, NY
    Quote:I wish!!!!

I had 4 pigs butchered a month ago, every bit of the bacon sold at $7 per package (.75-1#). My wife and I had one package. I guess I need to raise more next time.

10. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    wowza! good for you! we ate every delicious bite of ours! our friends and family were so creeped out that they wouldnt take it! we laughed and ate more bacon!

have you tried smoking it yourself? i couldnt believe it was so easy. we only did one of the sides (and the jowls) b/c we didnt think it would work. now we are kicking ourselves that we didnt give it a try.

one of our projects for this summer is to build a smoke house. my buddy just used his kid's tree house! we used a barrel smoker/grill.. but could only fit one side at a time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by