My pullet is dying, what do I do?

GoldiLaced

Chirping
Feb 22, 2019
Colorado
UPDATE: She has passed away most likely due to suffocation (another chicken was on her). Feel free to continue this conversation for future reference.

We used 4cc per quart for sick chickens and 2cc per quart for the others of Denagard 12.5% with a 1/2 teaspoon of honey because the meds don't taste good (dissolve in hot water in a small cup first). Dip there beak, avoiding their nostrils, into the water if they don't drink on their own. Do not feed medicated feed to chicks that are being medicated, only unmedicated feed. This is information from my vet. She says Denagard does wonders and that my girl would of been much better by tomorrow, but she didn't make it until then. She was a strong girl, that's for sure.

I've had a chick with this problem before, so I knew something was wrong with her. She was too calm. Now she's showing more symptoms of the same thing that happened to the last chick. She's not growing, she's very sleepy, she can barely keep her eyes open, she's wobbly and can barely stand, she's not active, she seems to breathe heavier than the others. She does eat, though I haven't seen her drink. Her vent is clear but I don't think I've seen her poop.

Is there anything I can do for her?

EDIT: She had multiple seizures a few hours ago (I made a frantic post about it, if you would like to know the time). Ever since then she has been in a similar state to what she was like before, maybe a little worse.

Attachments

• ssp1.jpg
    ssp1.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
I currently have a 4 week chick with similar symptoms. It lies down more than the rest too. Mine has grown slower than the others, but that is because it is a different breed and they mature slower.
Did your chick with this problem before die?
However yours seems a bit worse off than mine, I hope it gets well soon!
:hugs

I currently have a 4 week chick with similar symptoms. It lies down more than the rest too. Mine has grown slower than the others, but that is because it is a different breed and they mature slower.
Did your chick with this problem before die?
However yours seems a bit worse off than mine, I hope it gets well soon!
:hugs
Yes, sadly, they did pass, so I'm very worried. I hope your baby get's well soon too!

At this age, I would start some Corid (amprollium) in the water for treatment of coccidiosis. Dosage is 10 ml (2 tsp) per gallon of water changed daily for 5-7 days. Is the chick eating and drinking? Is it kept warm? Can you try giving some watery chick feed and a small amount of egg?

I've had a chick with this problem before, so I knew something was wrong with her. She was too calm. Now she's showing more symptoms of the same thing that happened to the last chick. She's not growing, she's very sleepy, she can barely keep her eyes open, she's wobbly and can barely stand, she's not active, she seems to breathe heavier than the others. She does eat, though I haven't seen her drink. Her vent is clear but I don't think I've seen her poop.

Is there anything I can do for her?
At this age, I would start some Corid (amprollium) in the water for treatment of coccidiosis. Dosage is 10 ml (2 tsp) per gallon of water changed daily for 5-7 days. Is the chick eating and drinking? Is it kept warm? Can you try giving some watery chick feed and a small amount of egg?
She is kept warm. Sometimes she will get up and eat but it's not lots. I have her drink small bits of sugar water (about a 1/4 tsp in 1 1/2 cups of water) when the other chicks are up. I will do what you suggested. Also, will garlic water and plain yogurt help too? Thank you!

I would do as suggested and get some Corid asap.
Can you go to Tractor Supply and get some? You will find it in the cattle section.
I would not give the garlic. You can stir 1 teaspoon of yogurt into her wet chick starter if you wish.
When she poops, get a photo of that in natural light please.

Here's what Corid packaging looks like - it may be in liquid or powdered form.

upload_2019-3-17_9-20-2.png
upload_2019-3-17_9-20-11.png

I would do as suggested and get some Corid asap.
Can you go to Tractor Supply and get some? You will find it in the cattle section.
I would not give the garlic. You can stir 1 teaspoon of yogurt into her wet chick starter if you wish.
When she poops, get a photo of that in natural light please.

Here's what Corid packaging looks like - it may be in liquid or powdered form.

View attachment 1704675View attachment 1704676
I can try. Her poop seemed a little dry, otherwise, quite normal. I will say right now she was unresponsive to the liquid food, just shaked her head when it got in her mouth. I gave her some water and she shaked her head, but would sometimes accept it. She's becoming less responsive and more sleepy. Maybe I can try a syringe? Thank you for the reply.

Attachments

• ssp1.3.jpg
    ssp1.3.jpg
    489.5 KB · Views: 11
Drip water beside the beak to see if she will take it in. You need to be extremely careful if you try syringing fluids since they can aspirate or choke an die.

Can you get some Corid?

Drip water beside the beak to see if she will take it in. You need to be extremely careful if you try syringing fluids since they can aspirate or choke an die.

Can you get some Corid?
It's not exactly my choice to make whether or not my chicks get that. My mom has talked to a vet and we should be getting something that is apparently going to help. I will still try my best to get the Corid still. About the syringe thing, yes, that was my worry. I won't do that. I'll just be patient with her. Thank you.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom