My pullet wont open her eyes. Has watery eyes and beak. Any ideas?

And her beak breath smells like dead meat.
I'd get her on antibiotics asap. Squish the pus outta her eyes.... your gonna feel like her eyes are gonna pop out, but the inner eyelid slides side to side and is usually super swollen and hard to get around. Don't give up, if I can do it you can too!!! :hugs

My friends, I know this may sound cruel, but Tractor supply said " if your bird is that sick, I should take her back to the feed store where I bought her, and warn them that they sold you a sick bird, and should check any others for sickness, to stop any epidemic." To me that's hard.
I already have feelings for her. But she was beginning her illness when I bought her, and I won't be able to introduce her to the rest of the flock, even after she gets well. I don't want to have all my hens on antibiotics forever. If I did that, I know that they would cull her. I'm so sad right now I can hardly type. What would you, friends, do? :hit:idunno PS: I'm going to buy the antibiotics anyway, just to have some available just in case.

My friends, I know this may sound cruel, but Tractor supply said " if your bird is that sick, I should take her back to the feed store where I bought her, and warn them that they sold you a sick bird, and should check any others for sickness, to stop any epidemic." To me that's hard.
I already have feelings for her. But she was beginning her illness when I bought her, and I won't be able to introduce her to the rest of the flock, even after she gets well. I don't want to have all my hens on antibiotics forever. If I did that, I know that they would cull her. I'm so sad right now I can hardly type. What would you, friends, do? :hit:idunno PS: I'm going to buy the antibiotics anyway, just to have some available just in case.
Mine I'd had for months.... she'd already been with the flock since forever. Yours never exposing your flock..... I'd cull her, personally, but you have the option to return her.

Last edited:
I know, I'd had to cull a sick guinea a couple day ago... I just told it I was sorry but I couldn't watch it suffer anymore. Usually I have my DH do it for me, but he was outta town.
I dispatched it the same way I did my quail on processing day. I have to use a wire to hold their head down and use my hatchet, but my shears probably would have been "easier" (nothing easy about it for me either). :hugs
You can always return her to the store, I didn't have that option.

Last edited:
I would return her, and I also might contact the State veterinarian and let them know a feed store is selling sick birds.

My head says cull her but my heart would be bleeding like yours is! I think @casportpony Is right, the store should be held accountable. For what it’s worth it’s not your fault. You want the best for her and in the interest of other birds prevented from suffering I hope you consider what she said. :hugsGood luck! I’m so sorry!
I agree.

Back
Top Bottom