My pullet wont open her eyes. Has watery eyes and beak. Any ideas?

Pics
I just got back from that feed store. The owner said he doesnt take sick birds back. what a prick! and couldnt even suggest what treatment would be best.. YES I AM GOING TO CALL CALIFORNIA STATE AGRICULTURAL HEALTH ASSN. AND REPORT THIS! Thank you casportpony for all your kind help lately.
You're in California? Take that bird to the CAHFS lab in Tulare, and let the owner of the feed store know you are gonna do this.
https://cahfs.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/locations/tulare-labThey will euthanize and necropsy her for $20.

I really hope someone can, and is willing, to help me, if I ever get this sick!
Oh sure we will help you! As long as we have @casportpony to help us learn to tube feed you, @Kiki to tell us what to feed you, @Wyorp Rock and @Eggcessive to tell us how to treat your bedsores @dawg53 for your wormer dosage and @aart to draw up the plans for the ramp so you can roll up and down your stairs. We got this! :hugs

My little pullet just died, after so many pain-staking days, of trying to feed her, and give her the right medications, she finally passed away. She only got weaker by the day.
My friends, I really did all I could to help that little one. So now, Rest in peace beautiful Jess.
I love you and will miss you dearly.
This thread has concluded. Thank you BYC friends for the support, during this time.
So sorry. Please tell me that you will be taking her to the lab near you for a necropsy. :fl I wish I had one so close to me, and $20 for a thorough necropsy is something most people wish they had access to.

Sounds like she needs started on antibiotics, got any pictures of her eyes? Swollen shut?
https://www.jedds.com/product-category/poultry/healthcare-poultry/medicine-poultry/This Doxy~Tyl is what I used on my sick pullet, she was right as rain in a few days, took longer to get all the dried pus out of her eye than it did to make her start acting right again. I used the eye ointment too, I just used regular triple antibiotic ointment or neosporin until the terramycin arrived.
Screenshot_20200214-095051_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200214-095057_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200214-095032_Chrome.jpg

My friends, I know this may sound cruel, but Tractor supply said " if your bird is that sick, I should take her back to the feed store where I bought her, and warn them that they sold you a sick bird, and should check any others for sickness, to stop any epidemic." To me that's hard.
I already have feelings for her. But she was beginning her illness when I bought her, and I won't be able to introduce her to the rest of the flock, even after she gets well. I don't want to have all my hens on antibiotics forever. If I did that, I know that they would cull her. I'm so sad right now I can hardly type. What would you, friends, do? :hit:idunno PS: I'm going to buy the antibiotics anyway, just to have some available just in case.
I would return her, and I also might contact the State veterinarian and let them know a feed store is selling sick birds.

Back
Top Bottom