My pullet wont open her eyes. Has watery eyes and beak. Any ideas?

Pics
Yep, That's the best part of the day! When I hear my rooster "Ben" do his low voice crow, I know then, that the ladies are swiftly headed back to the coop/barn. Then, they fly up to their designated perching spots. I go in and pet each bird goodnight and call them by name!... Gonna be another long night with the poor little one. I just turned on her heating pad, and gave her more water.

This little bird is hanging on to dear life! I'm thinking, any other chicken would have passed away by now, but not Jess. Blind, flu-sick, cut her eye open, can;t eat, can barely breathe, only drinks honey water, I'm glad she's alive, but again not glad for watching her suffer like this.
No, I can't cull her, if she has any chance at life I'm for doing all I can, to save her, if she's so keen on survival! I get this motivation watching my father hang on for 2 years after he was diagnosed to die, and didn't... I know, stupid me right? :confused:

I honestly do not even like to eat BBQ chicken, or any chicken with bones in the meat. I know that it's food, designed for consumption, but it feels weird to me to eat it!
When I was given my first two chickens I had to carry them from the rabbit hutch where they slept to the tractor where they spent their days. I couldn’t eat bone in chicken for close to two years because I could feel their little drumsticks when I carried them. And of course that’s my favorite part!
Once I got my coop done here at my place things got normalized, I still love drumsticks and eat them happily now!
Just so you know you’re not alone, when you have so much close contact with an animal it does change things.

Very interesting turn of events today. That dying pullet with the scratched eye, didn't die...
Rather she started breathing better, and opened her bad eye to look at me as I gave her the honey water she can swallow. I'm thinking that's a start toward recovery. The eye didn't look damaged by her scratching it, but I'm no veterinarian, I cannot believe how much that little pullet want's to live! :confused:

Very interesting turn of events today. That dying pullet with the scratched eye, didn't die...
Rather she started breathing better, and opened her bad eye to look at me as I gave her the honey water she can swallow. I'm thinking that's a start toward recovery. The eye didn't look damaged by her scratching it, but I'm no veterinarian, I cannot believe how much that little pullet want's to live! :confused:
Is she eating?

Back
Top Bottom