My Quail are dying

quailman101

Hatching
Nov 19, 2020
Ive had them for about 6 months its just gotten cold around here and some of my quail have died. Today I found one just about to die and she just kept opening her mouth up and closing it every once in a while she would shake and open her eyes she soon died but she is the 9th in the past 3 days

What are you feeding them? Do you have pictures of the quail and your setup? What is your setup like? How many do you have, how many males to female? What kind of quail are they? (Coturnix, button, bobwhite, etc)

Bobwhite some California and a few snowflakes they re in a big pen that is on the ground i am sure it isn't picking though. I was feeding them sunflower seeds, and game bird food sometimes some whole corn but not a lot of the corn

Bobwhite some California and a few snowflakes they re in a big pen that is on the ground i am sure it isn't picking though. I was feeding them sunflower seeds, and game bird food sometimes some whole corn but not a lot of the corn
Can you post the nutrition information? Sunflower seeds and corn are treats and shouldn't be more than 10% of their diet. They need high protein, 28% as chicks and around 20% as adults. If they're not getting a balanced diet, this could be a cause for the issues you're having.

Do they have places to hide? How is their weight?

BTW, :welcome.

They are quite healthy they're weight is good im unsure of the exact nutrition info but I have been feeding them the same way for quite a while and I would imagine they would have already started to die and they would not all have died so quickly. They have logs to hide in

They are quite healthy they're weight is good im unsure of the exact nutrition info but I have been feeding them the same way for quite a while and I would imagine they would have already started to die and they would not all have died so quickly. They have logs to hide in

Hi there. A poor diet is different from pure starvation—an animal can be a healthy weight and still be missing vital nutrients.

Please consider getting a necropsy done with a vet or your state next time you have a fresh carcass. Knowing the cause of death can help you better care for your flock and combat potential contagious illness.

Hope you figure out what's happening soon!

If you’re just feeding them bird seeds and sunflower seeds only, that’s your problem there. Bobwhite requires high protein diet, at least 28%. I would switch out food immediately if I were you.

There could be a disease going through your flock. Have you introduced any new ones recently? Do any of them look sick? If so, separate them from any that look healthy. What symptoms do they show before they die?

Also, do you deworm them?

Back
Top Bottom