My Quail Pens

Quote:
Shade. It can get hot in pen with the metal roof when the sun beats down on it. Easy to remove when the weather cools.

rittert3 is correct, the 1x2 welded wire is used for the front and back of the pen and not the sides. I didn't make that very clear, sorry. Using sheet metal or 1x1/2 welded wire on the sides is correct. You don't need your birds sticking their heads in the neighbor's space. I went with the 1x1/2 welded wire on the sides for air flow in the summer when I run a fan. If you want the eggs to roll out under the feed trough on the front you should use the 1x1/2 welded wire floor. I use the 1/2x1/2 wire cloth floor in the brooder box.

I just now noticed your reply! Makes sense! Thanks
smile.png

Maybe this is a silly question, but what type of stimulation do they have? What do they do all day? I dont' have quail yet, but do have chickens. Is there any way to house quail outside so they can forage and do "quail things" ? I want them to be safe, but also want to provide as natural of a pen as I can. Thanks.

Quote:
SURE WISH SOME OF THE QUAIL RAISERS WOULD ANSWER THIS, I AM ALSO INTERESTED IN MAKING THEIR LIVES UNTIL SLAUGHTER OR BREEDING AS PLEASANT AS POSSIBLE.. HOW MANY OF YOU RAISE ANY CORTURNIX ON THE GROUND AND IF YOU TRIED, WHAT PROBLEMS DID YOU EXPERIENCE.

You can raise Coturnix on ground but the eggs are so much cleaner in cages, plus the birds get less disease of ground and predator control. You would need to worm the coturnix more if on ground. It's a matter of opinion, but you can get larger cages and put in dust baths in their so they can live their lives the fullest.

We raise our on the ground with no problems. Ours are raised as colonies kept separated by color. With a ratio of 6 hens to 1 male, with around 28 birds per pen when at full capacity. That gives them a little over 1.2 sq foot per bird. We have 3' x 12' runs all under a 12' x 24' roof. virtually predator proof with aprons on the outside to prevent digging in and the perimeter wire is 2"x 4" welded wire to keep bad things out and lined with 1" poultry wire to keep the quail in.

The only problem with quail and chicken wire is that they like to stick their heads out while they sleep, and this makes an easy snack for the bad things. Having 2x4 welded lined with 1" chicken wire might help deture the quail for sticking their heads out though. I hade a bad experience with 6 week old pheasant and chicken wire, same senario I mentioned at the start of this post.

Back
Top Bottom