My Quest begins ...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by galxox, Apr 3, 2008.

1. galxox

galxox Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2008
    Well i called City Hall about having chickens. I've been denied, i guess im not in the zoning area and you have to have like five acres of land [​IMG] im so upset. But im not giving up lol on Saturday im going to make cupcakes decorated like chickens [​IMG] haha and go to everyone that lives within 500 feet of me and ask them if thats okay with them, like a petition and then if i get there okays, im going to have to go infront of city council and explain why i should get these chickens lol, i already have some ideas.. any input yall???[​IMG]

2. galxox

Mar 29, 2008
    [​IMG]

3. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Pretty cupcakes! Thanks for the great idea for next Easter for the kiddos! Beautiful! Goodluck with the city, hopefully the neighbors will be nice about it...

4. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

As long as your only going to have hens i dont see why your neighbors would care. and if your neighbors dont care, then why do you need to tell the city you have them? [​IMG]
    Just tell your neighbors you wont be having roosters, and that they can have free eggs and wont even be able to tell that you have chickens because they'll be so clean and quiet!

5. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    Good luck with the neighbors and the city!!

6. ehurt

ehurt Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2008
    Norman, OK
  7. galxox

Mar 29, 2008
    Thank you ehurt .. I dont get it though where i live.. legit up the street is cows and horses, Why couldn't i get chickens ??

8. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    Uh, yeah, I'll be honest, I'm typically a very law abiding adult, but I didn't follow the town rules [​IMG]
    So I built the coop, and ordered 4 hens, and got 5. I had checked with the neighbors first and they don't care. My hens are usually quieter than my annoying dogs, so I can't see what they would complain about. Do what you feel is best, but maybe if you are going to go against the town, you may want to try and get other on board with you.....[​IMG]

9. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* I found out the woman at my pet shop kept 11 chickens OUAT 15 years ago in the town just north of me. The city gave her hell-- she took it to court and won-- but, somebody went into her coop just 2 days b/f she won and rung all the chickens necks. She hasn't kept a chicken since. And the city has since that time outlawed chickens again somehow.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  10. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Explain about the local food movement and how sustainability is the future and how you wanted to grow your own food and how chickens are better then dogs.

Henry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by