My rabbits had babies… what now?

There’s at least three babies. I only got pictures of two because the third was in a hole in the ground. Are the parents, or at least the mom, supposed to stay with them? She made a nest in my old chicken coop. Can anyone tell how old they are? I think they’re already eating the rabbit food.
7C75F946-E4AB-4C8C-878B-0E97588C5D17.jpeg
43C926F3-9733-4694-994A-F8B286DF12DB.jpeg

There’s at least three babies. I only got pictures of two because the third was in a hole in the ground. Are the parents, or at least the mom, supposed to stay with them? She made a nest in my old chicken coop. Can anyone tell how old they are? I think they’re already eating the rabbit food. View attachment 2954263View attachment 2954264

I'm guessing age is around 3 weeks. They are almost certainly 2+ weeks but probably younger than 4 weeks.

I would leave the mother with them for at least 2 more weeks, but make sure there is also a place where she can have more babies safely in case she is already pregant again.

They can probably be weaned (separated from the mother) sometime in the next 2 to 4 weeks, although it should also be fine to leave them with her for longer than that. Exception: if she has another litter, you should move these bunnies out as soon as you know about the new litter. She will definitely not be nursing them after she gives birth again.

Within another two months or so, you should make sure any young males are either separated or neutered. Young males might be able to live with their father after weaning, or they might not-- it will depend on what he thinks of the matter!

If those babies are two weeks old you can bet that the doe is pregnant. Does will breed again right after kindling. In my opinion you would be best off to separate the rabbits neutered or not. As bunnylady has said, two or more rabbits can get along just fine until they don't. Then it can get pretty bloody.

To answer an earlier question:
Do I bring them inside?
After looking at the photos of the bunnies, and making a guess about their age, I think they should stay outdoors.

Newborn bunnies are naked & blind, and can easily die of cold unless they have a good nest to stay in (so taking them into a warm house can make sense). Yours have obviously survived just fine, and by now they have plenty of fur of their own.

Okay. I have found a humane society whose website says they will neuter the male adult. I’m calling them tomorrow. I contacted my regular vet also but since it’s the weekend they probably won’t get back to me until tomorrow. I plan on catching the babies and trying to sex them, I’ll get pictures too, as well in the morning. I tried today but after taking said pictures they ran down a hole. They are fast.

The male is going to be separated until I can get him neutered. It took me a bit to figure out how I would separate him but the top of their hutch closes down and I can put him in there with separate food and water. So far he has been friendly to the babies. Even letting them cuddle up next to him. But I do worry about that “until they don’t” moment.

Back
Top Bottom