My Renovated Prefab Coop

Here is my updated system. I just need to add the towel, more straw on top, and the feeder/ waterer. I’m feeling so much more confident now. Thanks so much guys. You are really the best.

Pics:
Added the MHP back. I used the suspension method that @Chad Duncan devised in his 2015 post.

View attachment 2497621

Next, added hemp straw.

View attachment 2497625

The straw made all the difference in the world. Feeling much better now

View attachment 2497627
I also see some gaps that I'd like to plug up to eliminate drafts. Other than that, I'm Ready For Those chicks!!

The suspension idea is interesting, should make it easy to tilt/raise higher as needed.

Really shouldn't be any drafts down where the heat pad is but I'm not there to test it. When it's breezy, just hold a light ribbon around the area where the chicks realistically would be, and optimally it should have little to no movement.

The suspension idea is interesting, should make it easy to tilt/raise higher as needed.

Really shouldn't be any drafts down where the heat pad is but I'm not there to test it. When it's breezy, just hold a light ribbon around the area where the chicks realistically would be, and optimally it should have little to no movement.
The chicks are in and seem to be doing well. What setting would you recommend? I had it on the highest setting. That seemed kinda hot to my touch, so I moved it to 4. Now the chicks are all huddled together. Does that mean it's too low? Should I move it to 5? This pic is from when it was on 6.

IMG-0254.jpg

What setting would you recommend? I had it on the highest setting. That seemed kinda hot to my touch, so I moved it to 4. Now the chicks are all huddled together. Does that mean it's too low? Should I move it to 5? This pic is from when it was on 6.

They looked like they were enjoying it at 6. You can start high and start dropping it as you go, like maybe 1 notch every 5 days. By end of 30 days they'll be off it completely (most likely they'll mostly stop using it by the time you're ready to take it away).

I have a similar prefab coop that was renovated and re-renovated as my birds matured. I currently have 7 adult birds on 3 roosts, and it's maxed out. It's still comfortable and adequately ventilated as a night-time-only secure roosting area, but they really only sleep there and I had to train them to roost in assigned groups to prevent squabbles and overcrowding. You will definitely need a larger coop as your 15 chicks mature.

Attachments

• IMG_5374.jpg
    IMG_5374.jpg
    643.5 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_5395.jpg
    IMG_5395.jpg
    407.6 KB · Views: 74
I have a similar prefab coop that was renovated and re-renovated as my birds matured. I currently have 7 adult birds on 3 roosts, and it's maxed out. It's still comfortable and adequately ventilated as a night-time-only secure roosting area, but they really only sleep there and I had to train them to roost in assigned groups to prevent squabbles and overcrowding. You will definitely need a larger coop as your 15 chicks mature.
Yes, the coops are almost the same. By the time they need a larger coop, I hope to have a much larger coop. I thinking by the summer.

Yes, the coops are almost the same. By the time they need a larger coop, I hope to have a much larger coop. I thinking by the summer.
Think early spring! From my experience with this size coop, 5 birds per roost will get you to early May (see image #2 of four pullets per roost at 3 months old). After that, your birds will be big enough to need at least 10 inches of roost space (or 2-3 birds per bar). You can't really add more than 3 bars, either, since the roosts will need to be spaced far enough apart to allow jump access from the ground and to prevent head pecking between perches. The birds also need enough room to turn around on their roosts without knocking others off in the process, and to allow adequate space for their tails not to be squashed up against the walls.

More immediately critical will be the ventilation issues this coop presents. Here's how I dealt with it: A 3-4 inch window was left open at the top of each existing screened area to ensure cross air flow above head level. A 1/2 inch ventilation gap was added along the entire roof line by loosening the existing screws and wedging bottle caps every 12 inches between the coop frame and roof (don't laugh, it worked!). Both doors are kept open throughout the day to keep ammonia levels down, and PDZ over sand is used as a scoop-able floor base (poop is removed every morning with a kitty scoop). I also keep a portable dehumidifier hung at roost height where there was an area with limited window ventilation. The humidity now stays in the 50-70% range (or about 1-2% higher than what's outside). You will probably need to do a bit more with 15 birds-- maybe raise the roof 1/2 foot and add some 1/4 inch hardware cloth? But at least you live in a warmer climate where spring will come early!

Attachments

• IMG_5505.jpg
    IMG_5505.jpg
    329.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_5402.jpg
    IMG_5402.jpg
    413.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_5504.jpg
    IMG_5504.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 46
Think early spring! From my experience with this size coop, 5 birds per roost will get you to early May (see image #2 of four pullets per roost at 3 months old). After that, your birds will be big enough to need at least 10 inches of roost space (or 2-3 birds per bar). You can't really add more than 3 bars, either, since the roosts will need to be spaced far enough apart to allow jump access from the ground and to prevent head pecking between perches. The birds also need enough room to turn around on their roosts without knocking others off in the process, and to allow adequate space for their tails not to be squashed up against the walls.

More immediately critical will be the ventilation issues this coop presents. Here's how I dealt with it: A 3-4 inch window was left open at the top of each existing screened area to ensure cross air flow above head level. A 1/2 inch ventilation gap was added along the entire roof line by loosening the existing screws and wedging bottle caps every 12 inches between the coop frame and roof (don't laugh, it worked!). Both doors are kept open throughout the day to keep ammonia levels down, and PDZ over sand is used as a scoop-able floor base (poop is removed every morning with a kitty scoop). I also keep a portable dehumidifier hung at roost height where there was an area with limited window ventilation. The humidity now stays in the 50-70% range (or about 1-2% higher than what's outside). You will probably need to do a bit more with 15 birds-- maybe raise the roof 1/2 foot and add some 1/4 inch hardware cloth? But at least you live in a warmer climate where spring will come early!
Great advice. I sounds like I just need to go ahead and start on that new coop now. I spent pretty good making the current renovations. It'll be better to just put that money on a new, larger coop to accommodate all my chickens. It's crazy how flocks can grow. Why can't we resist new chicks? :hmm lol

I feel your pain. I went through the same ordeal, but luckily I only have 7 now and they all get along and mind their place in the pecking order, so I can wait till spring for my new build. I just placed an order for 3 spring chicks as a motivator! They are hard so hard to resist:)

Back
Top Bottom