My Rhode Island Red Layed this...

Thanks a million. I feed Dumor Chick Starter (24%), then Dumor Layer with sides of oyster shells as they get older. No double or triple yolks yet so I'll keep feeding, waiting and setting - who knows what will happen with my little backyard brood...
Egg production issues like this are genetic, usually seen in high production breeds like sex links.
Not to be a spoil sport, but it’s really not something you want in your birds. It’s not worth the strain it puts on their system and the health issues it can cause with egg binding and whatnot.
It’s a funny little glitch, though! Just not something I would want to see regularly, for the sake of the chicken.

So true.
The hen here that lays anywhere from 70 all the way to 120g eggs has constant problems.
All she knows is giant eggs, the downside is soft giant eggs, stuck giant eggs her butt's genetic code is nothing but a source of endless soaks and preparation H. :(
Egg production issues like this are genetic, usually seen in high production breeds like sex links.
Not to be a spoil sport, but it’s really not something you want in your birds. It’s not worth the strain it puts on their system and the health issues it can cause with egg binding and whatnot.
It’s a funny little glitch, though! Just not something I would want to see regularly, for the sake of the chicken.

Hear hear. Call me conservative, but I would feel very blessed if my girls stick to the boring, single yolk, nice strong single shell, normal-type eggs...that fill up "jumbo" egg cartons! :lol: Seriously, I prefer big eggs for cooking with, but my hens' health comes first. For now I keep the Jersey Giant's and BC Marans' eggs, which average 60-70 grams, and give away the rest. Can't seem to give them fast enough, and one of my Brahmas just started laying yesterday, bringing my layer count to 6 (out of 14). It's a nice problem to have, really.:)

Lol, glad im not alone.
Look at this mess, this is four days of eggs.
Obviously ive got some pullets starting but I bet you can spot the egg she lays.
I swear if you put your ear to her bottom you'd hear the ocean.:th
20190913_164930.jpg

Hear hear. Call me conservative, but I would feel very blessed if my girls stick to the boring, single yolk, nice strong single shell, normal-type eggs...that fill up "jumbo" egg cartons! :lol: Seriously, I prefer big eggs for cooking with, but my hens' health comes first. For now I keep the Jersey Giant's and BC Marans' eggs, which average 60-70 grams, and give away the rest. Can't seem to give them fast enough, and one of my Brahmas just started laying yesterday, bringing my layer count to 6 (out of 14). It's a nice problem to have, really.:)

Yeah, 103g her other one in there is 74g.
She's going on 4 so she dosent lay every day now. But getting two useable not soft eggs back to back is a rarity these days.
She's not a nice hen, but I treat her like she is.
I don't know if the eggs are the cause of her awful personality or the punishment for it but either way she's spoiled because I genuinely feel for her.
This is Marlene, she's a Delawhatever and supplier of one egg breakfasts.:)
Um...ouch.:oops:
20190831_125717.jpg

She's a trooper for sure.
She was the top hen, quite rightly so until a Dominique Hobo dethroned her.
They're thick as theives now though, so she's mean but not lonely. All in all, I like her she's just Marlene.:)
God bless her. She looks like a girl that can handle big eggs. Intense. Her face is all business.
20190917_223238.jpg

Thanks and I totally understand it. Wouldn't want my body to mass produce like that on a regular or singular basis. Was just stunned by the situation... so I spoke out of turn. Going to monitor my texts in the future for empathy and compassion for owners and poultry alike. Thanks again fellow clucker. I appreciate it.

Lol, glad im not alone.
Look at this mess, this is four days of eggs.
Obviously ive got some pullets starting but I bet you can spot the egg she lays.
I swear if you put your ear to her bottom you'd hear the ocean.:th
View attachment 1911089
I'm with you on that. My RIR pullets are coming of age and throwing small-sized butt nuggets at me, too. Thank goodness their output is increasing in size and quantity weekly - I'm loving it. Hoping to possibly start selling soon as production (and my experience with) poultry increases.

Does anyone near Savannah have any Pekin, Khaki Campbell or high egg-producing ducks? Contact me ASAP, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom