my rhode island reds are so mean!!!!!!!!!!

Pics
Its a start nothing wrong with that. Thousands of people get these type of Reds each year. I see them all over the country side.

One in 500 of these people may convert over to the real Rhode Island Red they don't have to show them. I got shelter dogs which are like these reds and I have no desire to won registered dogs anymore I did that with I was younger. I am a preservationist of rare breeds of poultry. If I got thrifty to fifthly people also helping me on this site out of say 3000 I am happy. They are happy and that's all that counts enjoy your chickens but understand what you have and their traits that you get when you buy them at a feed store. High egg production brings this out on these kind of birds. bob

If your males look like this guy they are docile. Notice the shade of Red. The lighter the color like a New Hampshire the more egg laying properties you have thus get males more aggressive. Its the leghorn blood coming to the surface that was introduced about 60 years ago to get Rhode Island Reds to lay lots of eggs for egg laying contests which was cheating. Therefor we are paying for these sins still today. These leghorn crossed rhode island reds called cherry eggers or production reds have tarnished the repetition of the true Rhode Island Red. Don't think we will ever get people to understand this in this age. That's the history of how it happened. bob

Last edited:
Thats average for that breed I have about 5 RRR Hens and 1 RRR Rooser. The rooster is VERY mean and I'm looking to get rid of it ,but my hens haven't cause any problems. In other coops I have seen this thought.
D.gif

I think what some knowledgeable folks are saying is that you can’t have a mean RIR if you don’t have a RIR. One of the major reasons Pit Bulls have a bad rap is for the same reason, breed misidentification. Even ‘experts’ definition of what makes a Pit Bull is so vague it could encompass most any mongrel with short hair and a stocky build or even a separate breed of its own. I was actually quite pleased with the ‘Rhode Island Red’ (Cherry Eggers) I fist purchased many years ago from a feed store, but its luck of the draw. As a rule, hatcheries and feed stores don’t sell RIR’s. They sell cherry eggers and call them Rhode Island Reds. As beginners, it’s not our fault that we don’t know the difference, but if it resembles a RIR and you call it a RIR, does that make it a Rhode Island Red?

I agree! Bob, that is one beautiful bird...looks like someone shined him with carnuba wax! What rich coloring....looks good enough to eat with a spoon.
droolin.gif
We've always kept RIRs down through the years and I agree that their quality has slipped horribly as the hatcheries tamper with genetics for production reasons...but I still have never had one single RIR with a bad temperament. I cull for that trait, so I'm really tuned into it and I can honestly say I've never culled a RIR once that was due to that trait.

I love the bird and the breed and if times were different right now, I'd have a good percentage of heritage genetics RIR on my land right now. The breed is a must for any working flock, IMO.

i have two rhode island reds in my small coop, with a few more other hens, but my rhode island red hens are so mean, i cant introduce new chickens to the flock without them dang near killin 'em i dont wanna kill them, but i wanna get rid of them
Sounds like they've been bullied,but this breed can be mean.Do you know what place they have in the pecking order?

I have a RIR and she is very sweet until she doesn't want to be. She is moody just like my kids. Some days she follows me around just a talkin away and sometimes she is biting my toes, my hands, my butt whatever she can do to get my attention. When she gets like that we just push her away harshly (not too hard) and she gets the point. Sometimes I have to put her in timeout. I have 6 total hens (1 RIR and 5 white ones, not sure what kind). They get along great but my RIR is the boss. Sometimes she waits by the door and when the dog tries to come in, she pecks him on the nose and sometimes she follows him around wanting to play. I guess I have to say that no matter what species we are - girls are moody. (but we love them)

Its a start nothing wrong with that. Thousands of people get these type of Reds each year. I see them all over the country side.

One in 500 of these people may convert over to the real Rhode Island Red they don't have to show them. I got shelter dogs which are like these reds and I have no desire to won registered dogs anymore I did that with I was younger. I am a preservationist of rare breeds of poultry. If I got thrifty to fifthly people also helping me on this site out of say 3000 I am happy. They are happy and that's all that counts enjoy your chickens but understand what you have and their traits that you get when you buy them at a feed store. High egg production brings this out on these kind of birds. bob

If your males look like this guy they are docile. Notice the shade of Red. The lighter the color like a New Hampshire the more egg laying properties you have thus get males more aggressive. Its the leghorn blood coming to the surface that was introduced about 60 years ago to get Rhode Island Reds to lay lots of eggs for egg laying contests which was cheating. Therefor we are paying for these sins still today. These leghorn crossed rhode island reds called cherry eggers or production reds have tarnished the repetition of the true Rhode Island Red. Don't think we will ever get people to understand this in this age. That's the history of how it happened. bob
I've bred Crabbett Arabian horses through strict Serafix bloodlines (an imported Stallion from the Crabbett Stud of England direct from a Bedouin tribe). I owned a Reserve National Champion Fine Harness Stud and Natl Top 10 Reining stud. But Arab breeders wanted bigger horses and crossed with Egyptian bloodlines and ultimately to Polish lines. IMHO ruined the Arabian horse that once ranked as a subspecie. I also bred Eng Springer Spaniels of the Salilyn bloodline (still have one of my stud dogs and his daughter). That bloodline produced EIGHT Westminster Best in Show...no other Eng Springer without that bloodline has since won) and the dual championship show/agility/gun dog traits gone. Eng Springer spaniels became very popular and indiscriminately bred ultimately promoting a recessive trait producing vicious dogs later identified as Springer Rage (canine epilepsy). We've seen it in Labs - Ignorant greed crossed English Labs with American Labs and ruined that breed. Chickens are no different. Once $ enters the picture everything's thrown out the window and many purebred strains have been destroyed. I don't doubt your story about the Leghorn adulteration, but mass breeding (commercial and hobby) ultimately dilutes bloodlines and ruins them. Just my humble opinion based on experience. Below - Natl Champ Westminster Best in Show Aristocrat 1967 and 47 yrs later the last of my breed program Jack and daughter Lucy in 2016. Bloodlines mean something.
Lucy Jack Aristocrat.jpg

Last edited:
I have 2 RIR . 1 is definitely top chicken - I've seen her bully her flock mates for no apparent reason (that I can see at least). She can get pushy with me at times especially if she thinks that the treats are coming too slow but no gratuitous pecking.😉
Apart from that she's sweet. She's one that I can pick up and set on my lap and pet when I'm hanging out with them in the coop. Her sister is more timid and will have nothing to do with me.
20230801_193318_exported_2764~4.jpg

Big Red peering at me wondering when the treats are coming.

Back
Top Bottom