My RIR Has A Hole in Her Beak!

OldEnglishGameBantam33

Free Ranging
Oct 15, 2018
CA
My Coop
My Coop
One day I saw that my road island red hen had a hole in her beak. It was more of an indent. I am not sure if the other hens were picking on her or if it is a bacterial infection but It seems to have no effect on her spirit. Please tell me if you know why it is there and how I can fix it!
Screenshot 2018-10-15 at 6.14.57 PM.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-10-15 at 6.14.42 PM.png
    Screenshot 2018-10-15 at 6.14.42 PM.png
    205.5 KB · Views: 15
I can't zoom in on the picture, but it looks like a cracked beak to me. If it's stable, you don't really have to do anything. If it's 'loose', you might want to make a brace for it with a teabag and some glue to hold it in place so it doesn't get further damaged or worse, knocked off.

It's most likely very sore too so make sure she's still eating, and maybe provide deep feed dishes for her until it heals so her beak isn't smacking off the bottom when she tries to take a bite.

I can't zoom in on the picture, but it looks like a cracked beak to me. If it's stable, you don't really have to do anything. If it's 'loose', you might want to make a brace for it with a teabag and some glue to hold it in place so it doesn't get further damaged or worse, knocked off.

It's most likely very sore too so make sure she's still eating, and maybe provide deep feed dishes for her until it heals so her beak isn't smacking off the bottom when she tries to take a bite.
@Pyxis How ? Is the tea bag like seaming tape ?

I am pretty sure it is not cracked severely but It may just be peck int he beak. Should I clean it?
How long has it been like this?

It's very hard to zoom the picture and see the beak. If it's been like this for several days, personally I would leave it be, unless she's not eating/drinking.

Back
Top Bottom