My roo can't fertilize a hen.

ikoCRO

Songster
Nov 27, 2020
I got a two year old rooster, who been at the zoo and never had his own hens.
He is beautiful and I would love to have his offspring, but he just doesn’t know how to inseminate!
Does anyone have any suggestion?

The hen doesn't seem too distressed (going right back to eating/drinking afterwards), so I'd probably just let him practice until he gets it right. He's likely just inexperienced at this point.

Note - if he starts injuring the hens, I'd probably take action in separating them for a bit.

Of side note, how are you verifying that he isn't mating properly? Got any freshly cracked eggs to look at?

He probably just doesn't know how to do it. He should learn with some time. And have you checked the fertility by cracking these hens' eggs? I thought my silkie roo wasn't getting the job done because the hens were 2x smaller than him and it didn't look like he was doing it right, kind of like in the video. I checked my eggs and it turns out all of the ones I checked were fertilized and their eggs even hatched. He might get it right sometime when you're not watching.

Also as 3KillerBs said it might help to trim some feathers around their vents. More on top of their vent for hens and more on the bottom for roos if I remember correctly. I think that also helped with my silkies.

I broke a couple of eggs and they were all infertile. I see that it doesn't fertilize properly, I don't know how to describe it to you in English (I'm writing this through Google Translate, I apologize I don't know English well).
The hen's cloaca stays open, the cloaca's cock doesn't reach it, there's no connection, I hope you understand me!
The rooster falls off the hen, is quite clumsy, does not know how to bend the tail down enough to reach it.
But he is very persistent, he tries every 2-3 minutes, I hope he succeeds!

I broke a couple of eggs and they were all infertile. I see that it doesn't fertilize properly, I don't know how to describe it to you in English (I'm writing this through Google Translate, I apologize I don't know English well).
The hen's cloaca stays open, the cloaca's cock doesn't reach it, there's no connection, I hope you understand me!
The rooster falls off the hen, is quite clumsy, does not know how to bend the tail down enough to reach it.
But he is very persistent, he tries every 2-3 minutes, I hope he succeeds!
Do not worry about your English! He just needs to practice. He'll get the hang of it.

How long have you had him?
All you can do is wait and hope he figures it out.
or you could try artificial insemination.
Artificial insemination?
How do you do that???
Today when I came home after work, I saw that he was beating all the hens on the head, they were all bloody!
There is no hope for him though!

Artificial insemination?
How do you do that???
Google it, there are a several videos out there.

Recent thread is discussing it:
I'm not gonna inserting anything in her, you just drip the semen in her vent, & she'll suck it up.

The massage method.

I don't have a second prefab to separate him, & a lady, or two. He'll be separated with the hens after the first group is done.

I can only work with what I have right now. My grandpa will probably get all fussy if I get another prefab coop to set up.

The Malays are only temporarily in another large coop with other birds until I can build them their own Large Coop.

Back
Top Bottom