My Roo is dead ( stupid neighbor dog)

wow anti freeze? omg thats one of the worse ways to die, my mom works at a vet clink and see lots of dogs and cat lose there lives because someone, poisoned them on insident or , purpose,
anti freeze, put crystles then that leads to kidney failure.
very inhumane I hate poisoning I woulnt even poison rats,
for gosh sake use a gun if it comes down to it.
once again im sorry for your loss. :aww

Sorry folks, I was under the impression that antifreeze poisoning was painless, and that the animal simply went to sleep. After your comments, I did some online research.

No, antifreeze is not the answer, I'm sorry I suggested it. I will remove that portion of my post.

Apology accepted
smile.png

interestingly enough, anitfreeze can not be metabolized by the kidney and liver. (Ethylene glycol). It acts as an inhibitor for certain enzymes that normally break down intake prior to the organs. The treatment it ethanol--or grain alocohol- because it acts as a competative inhibator with the antifreeze since structurally they are similar. And as we all know, we CAN metabolize ethanol (alcohol).

Not to steal your thread, I am so very sorry for your loss. But just thought Id FYI since we were on the topic.

I would also send the neighbors a bill for your birds and the repairs as well as your time it takes to repair it.

You know, has anyone ever considered a taser or paintball gun/bean bag guns for situations like this? CAn you get those and would it be effective?

hsm5grls....... I'm not sure how it is in your county, but in here in Yavapai County (maybe even in the state, I don't know), if any animal, dog or otherwise is attacking your livestock (yes, chickens are considered livestock), the owners of the livestock have every legal right to destroy the attacker. I learned this lesson the hard way about 11 years ago, and have never forgotten, nor shall I.

Of course, doing so may make getting any restitution that much more difficult. As others have said in different ways, it's best to first learn what your legal rights are from the proper authorities. Photograph any damage, too.

Good luck to you.

We have air guns. They shoot 6mm plastic bullets. The kids and DH target practice with them but now we have a new target, The neighbors dogs. I like them because they hurt but won't kill. Even though I felt like killing the stupid dog this morning I realize it is not the dogs fault it is the owners fault. So far they have not responded to the letter I left in there mail box. They have the gate closed and with all the dogs I dare not go in. I hope they are decent enough to make it right. I also included in the letter that I can not even find a replacement for my rooster until spring and that my birds were not just your average barn yard mutt chickens (not that there is anything wrong with mutt chickens) I can not even get them from the feed store unless I special order them. I told them I had invested my time and my money in caring for them and that they were pets. I included that I am out at least 300 eggs for one year of laying for my 2 hens and the possibility of selling fertilized eggs and increasing my flock with the rooster. I hope they are able to understand that to me these were not just any ol' chickens. I said I would swallow the expense of repairing the coop door but I would like them to remburse me $60.00 for my birds. I think that is more than fair.

My neighbor just got a dog, the dog's real cute, but like any dog, eventually he will try for my chickens. He is tied up most of the time, but I think the wife just lets him out the door during the day loose. After I build my new run, I am going to put electric shock fence about 6 inches off the ground on the outside of the coop. This should take care of my potential dog problem.
It's a shame that most of own our own property, and build a reasonable coop, and some loose dog breaks in and kills the chickens, and we only realize after the fact that are chicken homes have weaknesses.

Aw boy, I Just read this, im very sorry to hear about your dear little boy and little hen.
Please try and let the pain go. They are both in peace now, this week has been too sad for alot of us.
Please be careful with their dogs. They may know that it is you and you will always be fighting with them which is a horrible existence. They may retaliate with your chckens to the point that you would have none. Some of these things can escalate badly so just be careful.
If the idiots are going to let their dogs out and run loose why dont animal control do anything, i wish they would.
We need to try and protect your coop better and build a pred proof pen, i wish I was closer and could come and help you,
Im sorry that you have to cope with this.
:aww

Back
Top Bottom