My Roos keep fighting

reedcrew

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 10, 2014
Hi all. Two Roos raised together since hatchlings. One Buff Orpington and one Black sex link/barred rock. Sexlink/barred rock always clearly the dominant but so sweet. They were best buds until recently. They are a little over a year now. They normally roam on our property during the day, locked in coop at night. Kept them in their run for a few days due to hawk attacks. After a few days I let them roam again. BO lost part of his comb from what I thought was a hawk attack. Kept him separated for a day or two while I mended him. Shortly after I released him into the yard sex link/barred rock attacked him (not so sure now if it was a hawk that initially attacked him) Can they ever be able to coexist peacefully again? Thought to isolate the dominant one for a few days to try and even the playing field. Suggestions?

I think having your BO separated for those couple of days may have turned him into a 'stranger' in the opinion of the sex link. It's possible they may be able to work it out, but then again they may not. How many chickens do you have altogether, and how big is the coop? Do they have an attached run, or do they only free range?

Years ago I had an OEG Bantam rooster and a Lakenvelder rooster that were raised together in a flock with about twenty mixed sized hens. They got along fine for a year and a half then began skirmishing, primarily due to the OEG. It did not end well for the OEG because the mild mannered Lakenvelder ended up killing him one day while I was at work. I should have separated them.

I think having your BO separated for those couple of days may have turned him into a 'stranger' in the opinion of the sex link. It's possible they may be able to work it out, but then again they may not. How many chickens do you have altogether, and how big is the coop? Do they have an attached run, or do they only free range?
I’m sorry I didnt know you posted this I would’ve responded sooner! I had 20 hens and the two roosters. Hawks really did a number on my girls and I lost 6. I cooped them up into the run for a few days to deter the hawk. I think all of that was a recipe for disaster because that’s when they began fighting. Coop is about 8x10, run is about 12x14

I have learned the hard way that I cannot keep 2 roosters. They WILL fight to the death. I bought 2 barred rock chicks a couple years ago that were supposed to be females but one ended up being male so I gave him away. I have lost 2 roosters because of fighting and do not want to go through that again. It is not pretty. I think if you have a large farm or large enclosure with a lot of hens it will work, but smaller flocks it does not work.

UPDATE: Thank you all for your input. I rotated the two for a few weeks until I realized that wasn’t helping at all. We then just decided to put them together to see. They seem like they’ve buried the hatchet and each understand who’s Alpha and who’s Beta. The fact that it’s Spring now and they can roam under the forsythia away from the hawk’s view has helped tremendously too. I’m going to hold my breath but happy for now!
Thank you all!

Attachments

• 075FA5B3-2708-4801-87B3-4CC277D4C80F.jpeg
    075FA5B3-2708-4801-87B3-4CC277D4C80F.jpeg
    944.8 KB · Views: 5
With my American Dominiques, I let them fight until they get good and sore, then pen them up for a few hours. Then release again. Most of time one will be sore enough still to not want to fight, otherwise repeat process. I also have option of making to they have roost sites that some distance apart.

Back
Top Bottom