my rooster ATTACKED me!!!!!!

chookchik

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 19, 2012
My otherwise docile rooster attacked me!!!! I was putting the hens back in the coop and all of a sudden I feel a sudden childlike tug on my pant leg, I look down in surprise and there is my tiny cochin/silkie bantam rooster attacking my ankle! Between bursts of giggles I pushed him aside and finished putting the hens in the coop and HE DID IT AGAIN! Saucy little blighter.

Why the sudden change in behavior? He never bothered with me putting the hens in before but for some reason today he went at my ankle. If he were a bigger rooster he would have hurt me.

Also do the bantam roosters have spurs?

Thanks!
Chookchik

How old is he? He must still be quite young if you don't know if he has spurs. Usually spurs don't grow into anything noticeable until they're over a year old.

My guess is that your docile little boy is coming into his hormones and he's suddenly taking his "job" seriously. Contrary to what others may think is the "right" way to deal with rooster aggression, I wouldn't just haul off and boot him.

A better way to handle him would be to slow down when you're handling the hens. Move slowly and gently so he won't have reason the think you mean the hens harm. When a rooster suddenly is aggressive like that, it usually means he thinks he can't trust you. Keep this in mind, and adjust your behavior when he's nearby.

To take it a step further, you can establish both dominance and trust by handling him, especially when he's being aggressive. Slowly, gently, reach down and pick him up, facing backward, with his head tucked under your arm pit, hold him snugly against your body like a football. Carry him around like that for awhile. Try to do this whenever he shows any aggression. (Having his head tucked away will calm him down, and if he's highly charged, dipping his head at a slight downward angle will calm him further.)

It's a matter of training and establishing your dominance, but in a way that he will come to trust you, not fear you. While some here swear that fear and a little rough treatment is the best way to keep a roo in line, I've found that gentleness and trust work far, far better.

Good for you. You should do well together.

I think the one common message here is that rooster training needs one thing above all else:
Consistency
If you want the extra point, try punting. If you’re more of a running back, then hold that sucker tight and go as far as you can. Just avoid the pass rush, no one benefits from a bad throw.

Whatever method and punishment you have for correcting bad behavior it must be used all the time and for all the same reasons.
The big thing is establishing yourself as the dominant one and potentially correcting any "personality" flaws.
Or make some **** good soup.
Some roosters just dont get the message.

Its your rooster, your flock, and your decision.

I like to try and *correct each little man before I take out the crock pot.
A good rooster is a welcome addition to the flock and home, a bad one…
Sometimes mean tastes good.

EDIT: *correct was added, forgot it the first time

Last edited:
Could be his age, could be he didn't like your pants! My son has a jacket that sends our silkie roo running. They are amazingly aware of certain differences. I do agree you need to show him who is boss. We usually pick up and hold a roo if he is acting up. I have also kicked them away unitl they give up (really more of knocking them down from their jump at me). I have also heard that pushing their head in the dirt is effective for some. My one roo that tends to attack my feet is a Houdan with a crest and I believe he often does it because he is startled and doesn't see well with his "hair" in his eyes. At least I give him the benefit of the doubt because he hasn't hurt anyone and is most often very sweet (if a little neurotic). He is also a teenager so I am hopeing he will outgrow the stage but if he becomes more agressive he will find a new home.

And yes, banties have spurs.

I must have startled him. I picked up two hens a the same time and usually he is quite far away when I do this. So when I felt the tug on my pants (still funny) I instinctively shook him off my leg, then I picked him up and put him in the coop.

He is a teenager not a year old yet but he has feathers on his legs so I can't tell if he has spurs yet or even what I'd be looking for.

I know what I'll do different next time. I know it was just and interspecies misunderstanding. Also I was wearing sky blue lounge pants (that I NEVER wear - because they're sky blue valoor - it was laundry day) which may have angered him - which is totally understandable.

It was really funny, he was fighting with all his might and it was like being attacked by a tea cup yorkie.

It can be funny when they are so small but if they are intent, they can do damage. Our silkie roo has finally out ranked our Houdan roo by sheer determination and grit. He was relentless with his challenges to the Houdan and now the Houdan runs from him. It is funny in a way but on the other hand it must be embarrassing to be bested by someone half your size.
hide.gif

You were messing with his girls. He don't like you handling his girls. You are now considered the competition. Unless he is trained he will continue to attack. Next time, put him up first then get the girls.

It's a matter of training and establishing your dominance, but in a way that he will come to trust you, not fear you. While some here swear that fear and a little rough treatment is the best way to keep a roo in line, I've found that gentleness and trust work far, far better.

Great advice, the consistant reminders and inward aggression work so much better than blatent violence.
I always advise this also, but encourage people to hold their roos upside down by their feet if the football technique doesnt work, or if they get overly violent.

Remember you're in charge and the rooster needs to learn that, its natural for them to sacrifice everything to save their girls. Good training in teenage years will establish a bond where they will rely on, respect and enjoy being around you instead of outright fearing you.
Train em good and enjoy the benifits for a long time.

Good advice azygous

Back
Top Bottom