my rooster ATTACKED me!!!!!!

http://olychickenguy.blogspot.com/s...d-max=2011-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&max-results=5
His web site is only organized as articles written each year. I'm afraid you'll have to just start at the top and read until you come to training, though most of his writing includes training. He's managed to leash-train a couple of his roosters and they ride on his bicycle to town with him.

I've been corresponding with Ky for a couple of years, and he's helped me through some very serious issues with my chickens to successful outcomes.

His situation is unique. He's homeless but operates a rooster rescue where he rehabilitates the animals and then re-homes them. This is most often done out of a tent on public land. But by literally living with his chickens, he has come to know the inside of a chicken's brain like no one else.

Read all his stuff. It'll give you a perspective on chickens you've never encountered, far, far beyond "let chickens be chickens".

My husband and I have 2 roos, one is a small crossbred thing with spurs, rufus, - he is dominant but never violent to us. The other is a black star Rooster, captain Jack, he's generally really laid back and actually fairly easy to handle, with no spurs.
The other day I went down to our breeding hens as they've begun hatching chicks and our big nice roo started to attack me. Funnily enough, he doesn't attack or try to dominate my husband,[ however my husband makes a point to handle him.]
That day I tried to dominate him via intimidation, but you know what, it didn't work. The more I knocked him down out of his jumps, the more he got worked up and tried to fight my boot. Even knocking him backwards so that he was losing ground and I was gaining ground didn't work for more than a minute or two. I just was frustrated at his persistence, clearly he was learning nothing but to fight my boots.
So, disturbed by the fact my husband has no troubles with him, and I had never done anything agressive to him I asked my husband what he does with him - to which he replied he just picks him up and carries him around for a bit and tries to touch him as much as possible to get him used to being handled, since he is one of our breeding roos.

So starting today any time he tried to get up in my space or peck my boot, I just picked him up and carried him around and he just sat there like a ragdoll, and now when I put him back on the ground he ruffles his feathers and carries on about his roosterly business. He hasn't tried anything to dominate me any further to this point.

So now in my experience, fear caused my agression in response to the roosters domination, but knowing a passive agressive way to deal with Captain Jack now I can try to gain his trust and demobilize his attempts to be dominant.

Thanks everyone for the info. I think I have a good handle on the situation now. I picked him up and tipped him upside down to look and see if he had spurs, he doesn't have them yet. I'll vigilant and firm. He's a good roo, goofy looking as anything, I think if he was a big ten pounder I'd make soup, but he's an ornamental bantam and I can manage him.

This is such a great site with all the chicken talk!

Thanks again everyone!

Good for you. You should do well together.

I think the one common message here is that rooster training needs one thing above all else:
Consistency
If you want the extra point, try punting. If you’re more of a running back, then hold that sucker tight and go as far as you can. Just avoid the pass rush, no one benefits from a bad throw.

Whatever method and punishment you have for correcting bad behavior it must be used all the time and for all the same reasons.
The big thing is establishing yourself as the dominant one and potentially correcting any "personality" flaws.
Or make some **** good soup.
Some roosters just dont get the message.

Its your rooster, your flock, and your decision.

I like to try and *correct each little man before I take out the crock pot.
A good rooster is a welcome addition to the flock and home, a bad one…
Sometimes mean tastes good.

EDIT: *correct was added, forgot it the first time

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom